WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Got the Picture - Whats next

Old 27-03-06, 00:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Harry,

Just out of interest, do you have to do much post processing, other than when you do your stacks. My money would be on NO.

Don
Don I do just the basic editing on most of my photos, although my basic editing maybe just a little different to most people.

All my photos are shot in Raw, this is something I've done since owning the Minolta D7 Autumn 2001. Having used just about all the raw convertors out there, I've settled on Rawshooter Premium , then transfer to PS CS2.

It's very rare that I alter the WB, both my Canons are set to AWB, so it's just slight tweaks in Rawshooter usually with a slight touch on the Enhance button.

In PS, more often than not I select Levels>>Options and use the default of "Enhance Per Channel Contrast" I then sharpen my pics by creating a Background copy in layers, select the High Pass filter and set the filter at 10-12 pixels Use a blend mode of "SoftLight" with the opacity set to approx 70%. That's about it.
Obviously there are exceptions but these are very rare.

Harry
Old 27-03-06, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie
In PS, more often than not I select Levels>>Options and use the default of "Enhance Per Channel Contrast" I then sharpen my pics by creating a Background copy in layers, select the High Pass filter and set the filter at 10-12 pixels Use a blend mode of "SoftLight" with the opacity set to approx 70%. That's about it.
Obviously there are exceptions but these are very rare.

Harry
Harry or anyone,

Trying to get to grips with terminology. Use of High Pass filter was mentioned in your work on my first pic. What does this filter do ? Is it something that is used on a few, most, or all images.

Don
Old 27-03-06, 10:15

Don the technicalities of the High Pass filter are beyond me. so I've just been doing a search of the web and found this.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...photoshop.html

Hope this will help you understand the High Pass method of sharpening a little better.

My workflow is just a little different, have tried this method out, which is very similar to the way I do it, but must admit the workflow is better than my method.

I will play around some more before deciding whether to change, but it's looking if my workflow will be changing.

I'm very pleased you asked the question, so will probably do a little more searching.

Harry

ps. have just spent the last hour at the earthboundlight site, no doubt this will become a firm favourite of mine.
Well worth a visit

Last edited by wolfie; 27-03-06 at 10:51.
Old 27-03-06, 11:08

Default Brightness and Contrast settings

Setting up my new monitor showed up something else. Ignoring colour for a while ..... Brightness and Contrast.

I spent a bit of time in the gallery last night, initially a general look then more specific member galleries.

When I started viewing I was startled by the what I was seeing. As in post processing these factors would have an effect on the degree of contrast and sharpening applied when posting for the web.

I hope my monitor is now reasonably set for this. If I had been a contributor to this thread with my previous settings I would probably have been crucified. I have found some of my gallery to be oversharpened as I usually give pics a touch of usm after resizing. Guess some noticed and did not comment.

So do you think it would be worthwhile posting on this thread a couple of reference pictures from those with well adjusted monitors. Harrys wasp on this thread was one that I used.

Don
Old 27-03-06, 11:22

Don, I suspect that your new monitor is a flat panel LCD type. Photographs tend to look sharper in my experience than on a CRT one especially an old one. However just to open a new can of worms so to speak, even though you think your new monitor is now set correctly, have you actually used a screen calibrator to create a profile. Its a shame really that although many people correct their images onscreen they have never actually profiled their monitor and therefore cannot be sure that things are as they should be.

I am referring to a device such as the Colorvision Spyder. You may be interested to know that a new affordable model has been released. There is a review of it HERE I think you would be amazed at the difference it makes

Last edited by Stephen; 27-03-06 at 11:24.
Old 27-03-06, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Don, I suspect that your new monitor is a flat panel LCD type. Photographs tend to look sharper in my experience than on a CRT one especially an old one. However just to open a new can of worms so to speak, even though you think your new monitor is now set correctly, have you actually used a screen calibrator to create a profile. Its a shame really that although many people correct their images onscreen they have never actually profiled their monitor and therefore cannot be sure that things are as they should be.

I am referring to a device such as the Colorvision Spyder. You may be interested to know that a new affordable model has been released. There is a review of it HERE I think you would be amazed at the difference it makes
Stephen,

I my monitor is as you describe - flat panel TFT. Had I realised the difference in how sharpness was displayed I would have toned it down a bit. When you print its easy as you see the results of your actions. I have only adjusted for brighness and contrast. Even that was trial and error as no instructions but several buttons. Will have to seek a bit of advice from Harry as he has the same model.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out when I understand what I am doing. Don't want to wreck my view by accident.

Don
Old 27-03-06, 12:22

I fully agree with Stephen, but when comes to actually spending money on a Spyder I always seem to have other priorities which is rather silly considering the amount we spend on cameras/lens and monitors.
When I get my new 20" widescreen I may also get a Spyder.

As I mentioned previously all I use at present is the "monitor calibration wizard" and "quick gamma"

Don as regards the LG set up menu I always find it to be a major struggle. Not sure whether it's me that's a little dim or not.

So I've got it set on user mode and use the above software for calibration.

It would be interesting to know if our images look ok on Stephens Spyder calibrated monitor.

Harry
Old 27-03-06, 13:28

Harry,

Stevie took this pic last night while we were posting here. Shows new high tech gear that does not quite work properly in action.

Unless the wireless keyboard was held in this position while typing then some keystrokes went unrecognised.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi Tech Kit in action.jpg (81.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 27-03-06, 13:58

Don, That's not quite the ideal position to have your keyboard I presume you have moved the wireless transmitter/reciever so as to recieve the best signal.

I have the Logitec wireless k/board & mouse which has all the clever stuff in the base of the mouse holder/charger, as this is in very close proximity to the keyboard I have no problems.

Or I should say I don't think I have any problems, as I do, but I've always put it down to my total lack of typing skills, or my arthritic fingers.

Your monitor looks similar to mine, but I do not have the built in speakers, but I guess the menu system will be much the same, must admit I never really got to grips with it, so the settings have all been applied via software and my graphics card.

Until you get such as a Spyder, why not try the software that i'm using it's freeware so no expense incurred.

Have just placed an order for the Forcam 2010 Raven Xtreme

http://www.formac.co.uk/frameset.htm

Should recieve this on Thursday. Will post a picture of my setup then. That should give me plenty of time to get rid of all the clutter and junk that surrounds my PC desk.

Harry
Old 27-03-06, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie
It would be interesting to know if our images look ok on Stephens Spyder calibrated monitor.

Harry
Finally managed to capture a histogram. I am posting the BLT pic as the toast should look tasty. Not as strong as Fuji Velvia but better than Ektachrome ....... does that place me

Referring to a comment by Christine on file size, I most certainly cannot understand this. BLT image I have posted before file size 144.1kb. Wanting to leave it filed where it is I opened it and did ' save a copy as '. New file size 419.2kb. Wierd. Perhaps need techie input on this .... ROB

Went into the loft and found a usb 18" extension cable so all is working now. Much prefer the laptop keyboard but then I suppose you can't have everything.

With this posted I'm off for a look at your link Harry.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLT Histogram 1.jpg (98.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg BLT Screen Test.jpg (144.1 KB, 10 views)