WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

High speed shots

Old 01-06-08, 20:24

Looks like you got through at least a pack of cards Don (I will have bring my own if I come for a game of Bridge ), The fact that you got the cut card is quite incredible. Maybe you should drop grapes (from a great hight) on to the trigger and see what results you get (and make a fruit salad at the same time )
I have just found some party poppers, I will give them a go later just to see what sort result I get.
You gave it a very good try Don, Is there no way of slowing the pellet?

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 01-06-08, 22:03

Well As I only had 3 party poppers, This is the best shot of the bunch,
1st shot with the trigger about 5" away all I got was the lid coming off
2nd shot moved the trigger about 2ft away and missed the shot (to much delay)
3rd shot (shown) moved trigger back to about 10" (better but need a bit more delay)
So, if I had had another popper I was going to put it at about 12"-14" away and hoped that would have worked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3555.JPG (151.6 KB, 15 views)

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 02-06-08, 10:37

Lello,
Good try on the party popper. At least I am not the only one having syncing problems.

Most of my probs are in the trigger. Getting it to fire at a precise point is the goal. I have had it trigger before the strike or after. Mid card strikes have often been a case of an off contact at the trigger causing the flash to strobe. Arrrh . Attatched is such an example in which I also failed to clamp the card hard enough so it moved under pellet impact. Bit of card flying off but no sign of the pellet.

On the accuracy front I have discovered that impact on the foil trigger can fractionally deflect the pellet. Only really a consideration for the card shot though.

I have 23 cards left to try mods to the trigger. Determined to do this for free, also it takes a different route to the sound trigger stuff that you are doing.

Your drop an object on the trigger would work and I will have a go. While I have the card clamp aligned I really want that shot so will persevere for now. Solution of the trigger problem being key to any exploding shots.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strobing.jpg (70.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Don Hoey; 02-06-08 at 10:43.
Old 02-06-08, 11:26

Don, Lello you are going great - The shot of the card just after the cut and the party popper are very good. Too busy at the moment with the new toy but have found the ML-3 IR trigger so will set up and share ASAP. In days gone by I was issued with a Walther PPK or a Browning Hi Power - may be a little too powerful for this; mind you the new laser sights would ensure no misses!!

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 12-06-08, 18:51

Back to playing with a trigger. Now on Mk3, and at least the pellet is now in frame even if I have lost alignment of the card. Mks 1 & 2 suffered from bounce and so strobed the flash .

Attatched 2 shots of the same card. HS Flash 6 really shows what happens to the trajectory of a flat head pellet after cutting 3/4 of its way through the card. The card distortion is the result of the pellet impact and it had nearly returned to flat by the time exposure was over.

Once again, flash used is a Vivitar 283 at a flash duration of 1/30,000 sec.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HS Flash 6.jpg (114.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg HS Flash 7.jpg (123.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-06-08, 19:04
Super Moderator

Wow Don, you have been working hard. This is one project I can't compete in. Very impressive.
Show off.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 12-06-08, 19:11

Great shots, well done Don, I knew you'd get there in the end. I'm trying to find someone you can lend me a pellet gun so I can have go, In my younger days everybody had a slug gun!! now I can't find one

Lelsphotos
Old 12-06-08, 19:23

If only the pellet had not been deflected out of the DOF that would have been it - very impressive!
Old 12-06-08, 19:46

Lello,
Different world back then.

Mike,
I am still determined I will get a good one for you.

Christine,
When I have the shot to satisy Mike, I will sort out an easy contact trigger anyone can make with a bit of card and kitchen foil. Not suitable for Lello's balloons but should OK for drop type impact shots.

Don
Old 12-06-08, 20:11

Very good Don, Setting up in my cellar - my son has an air rifle - almost ready to try the IR trigger but it's going to have to go some to match your shots and those of Lello - will post results soonest.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!