WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

What DSLR to go for?

Old 24-06-10, 20:12

Default What DSLR to go for?

Have been doing a bit of comparison shopping on the net and have come up with some possible options.

Canon EOS 500D - Has HD video and greater ISO range than any other, plus access to canons many different lenses.
Pentax K-x Digital SLR Camera - Worthy contender?
Nikon D5000- Opinions?
Samsung GX20 - Opinions?
Canon 400/450D?
Olympus E-450, Olympus E-520, Olympus E-620, Sony Alpha A330,
Sony Alpha A380L, Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera, Nikon D3000 Digital SLR Camera - Not sure about these?
Sony DSLR-A200K - cheap!

I need a DSLR (and want one - so a good excuse) for A-level photography...I have lots of exotic pets: www.youtube.com/fishnreptiles that I would like to take pics/HD videos of.I also really like macro photography, and in future definitely want to do underwater photography ( so an underwater housing is a must), having read 'the underwater photographer' by Martin edge.I have grasped the basics of photography, so even if the camera isn't the easiest to use, but could produce better results than another; that may be preferable.

I don't really know what my budget is but it won't be big...It will be whatever I can squeeze from my parents Plus whatever money I have of my own.Maybe #600 at the maximum squeeze, or as little as #350...And I apologise for having no sterling sign - I should really change the keyboard settings

Now I want some of your experienced and knowledgeable minds to help me out!
Old 24-06-10, 20:18

This is a question that crops up ALL the time...

OK for that budget (you really need to be more specific) you're going to need a body, 18-55mm kit lens and some sort of macro setup. Nowadays anything by Nikon, Canon or Olympus will give you great results. If you want HD video narrow your choice to cameras that support this.

If you want more professional gear to fit your budget then buying second-hand is always an option, lowers the price and because the higher-end models are better made the result is similar.

Most importantly: don't get caught up in gear, it's the photographer that counts!
Old 24-06-10, 20:22

Cheers alex...I guess you're the same age as me?
And I suspected that it would, but using crappy search functions to scour multiple threads can be rather annoying.
What reputable places sell second-hand gear?
Old 24-06-10, 21:45

I was indeed born in 1994

Ffordes Photographic is an excellent retailer of secondhand cameras, they even give you a 6 month warranty.

London Camera Exchange also has a good range of stuff.

The last resort is always eBay ;-)

I think for HD video capability a used Nikon D90 is a good bet - it's a fine SLR and quite popular, I'm sure eBay is full to bursting with them.

If you are on a budget remember to weight your spending towards lenses, not bodies. My guess is you'll want a good macro lens, which may be pricey - lenses make a bigger difference than bodies to the final result.

Last edited by Alex1994; 24-06-10 at 21:48.
Old 25-06-10, 00:55

Was going to sugggest the d90 but out of your price range new. plenty of them on ebay though. I have one after upgrading from a d60 a few months ago. Both great cameras but the d60 doesn't have HD video, not something i use much but its one of your requirements. As alex says the glass is more important, so thats something to bare in mind when doing your research. Check whether the body you decide to get has a auto focus motor built into the body or whether you need to get lenses with the motor, This is something i didn't take much notice of when i was researching for my first dslr but i wish i had. Good luck with whichever one you go for. As i say I love the d90 and it does have HD video and a auto focus motor in the body which will give you more lens choices.
Old 25-06-10, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy feet View Post
using crappy search functions to scour multiple threads can be rather annoying.
Which is why there's a "sticky" answering this question at the top of this sub-forum.