WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

watermarking????

Old 05-09-11, 04:52

Default watermarking????

hi everyone,

i want to put my images on the net but dont want to have a watermak on them..... is there a way of not having to do this to the photo???? anyone had the prob before??

cheers rusty
Old 05-09-11, 10:03

Well, it's the easiest thing not to have the watermark on the photo, but sharing pics in the internet is not really the way to keep the copyright on your photography, as far as I am aware. If they are photography websites or flickr, you should probably check the terms and conditions just to make sure, but I wouldn't put anything special out there without a watermark.
Old 12-10-11, 16:15

Hi Rustyhands

I have heard lots of stories about photos being misused on the world wide web, and I know of people who have openly admitted they have taken other peoples images, and made them their own. I have heard of other people have found out the hard way, that someone has been using their photos and making them their own regardless to their cost.

Personally, I think anyone who steals another persons photo of any website to get a result is out of order.

I agree with Mightypain that if you have very valuable photos that you simply do not post them at all.

Watermarks vary in that you can post a shadow mark through your photo, or place your signature. I think a signature on the corner of your photos would be a great idea for peace of mind for yourself and it had not got a detremental {sp) effect on your prized photo

Regards
Kathy
x
Old 13-10-11, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewit View Post

I agree with Mightypain that if you have very valuable photos that you simply do not post them at all.
Also agree. Therefore if you only post non valuable photos. Do you need a watermark? For me the answer is no. Something only you can decide. You could resize and use low quality to post a photo that would hopefully be not worth anyone stealing.
Depends on if you post just to share or if you intend/hope to get a sale.
Old 13-10-11, 19:42

I Always embed my info into the metadata, apply a custom frame with my name and website, mainly to help me get exposure. But the most important thing is to put up only low quality images onto the net. The two first things can easily be removed, but the later makes the image useless in most cases if someone did fancy stealing. As for stealing an image and passing it off as you own.....that is disgusting, somepeople obviously have no shame.
Old 14-10-11, 06:58

^^^^ your absolutely correct about some people not having any shame. If you ever listen to the news, you'll know that people do very strange things.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers and photo technology ( editing equipment). So I'm just wondering, If some one did post a low quality image that a person wanted to steal, could they do that and make the photo better using their computer and some software? Just asking.
Old 14-10-11, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurid View Post
^^^^ your absolutely correct about some people not having any shame. If you ever listen to the news, you'll know that people do very strange things.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers and photo technology ( editing equipment). So I'm just wondering, If some one did post a low quality image that a person wanted to steal, could they do that and make the photo better using their computer and some software? Just asking.
Yes, they could no doubt improve it, and use it for the internet. I doubt they'd be able to make a decent A4 print though.
I've heard of cases where printed images in exhibitions & books have been photographed & used as the copiers own work. One student apparently got a lifetime ban because one of his examiners happened to be a co-author of a book he'd used to copy from. (Serves him right!) The only ways to ensure no one copies your work is to make sure no one sees it or the ensure images are degraded to the point nobody wants too. I don't see the point in either of those, so damage limitation is the way to go.

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...
Old 14-10-11, 08:34

Thanks for your quick reply. I learned something today.
Take care.
Old 14-10-11, 08:38

Thanks for your quick reply. I learned something today.
Take care.

Tags
photo watermarking