WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Equipment Reviews

Equipment Reviews Post a review of your equipment in here

Sigma 50-500mm EX DG

Old 19-01-07, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post
I do not think Olympus have ever said it is a full frame crop, but advetised it as a 4/3's full frame transfer CCD

crafty
How about line 11 of the LINK.

Or under 3rd highlight, discussion on Sensor, LINK.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 20-01-07, 00:15

The area of the sensor is not the power of the crop. The crop is based on the diameter of the image circle. You will find the diagonal is the effective crop basis. The relationship does not give area as 1/4 regular sensor any more than APSC sensor is 1/2.5.

Last edited by carman; 20-01-07 at 00:20.
Old 20-01-07, 03:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carman View Post
The area of the sensor is not the power of the crop.
Carman, the question here is not what crop is or is not. My point is Olympus deliberately cheats in their advertisement, utilizing the ignorance of consumers making them think they are buying the same "Full frame" sensor that canon on their 5D and 1Ds MII sells from 3000 to 8000 dollar, when in reality they sell even a smaller, cheaper sensor, to be precise, 1/4 the area of a true full frame sensor and even smaller than most other inexpensive DSLRs such as Nikon's D50 D70, Canon's XT etc. What they do is using a smaller sensor that has half of normal old film SLR frame size while keeping the same ratio, meaning 35x24mm (Old film size that is used as standard nomenclature for Full Frame) Olympus' sensor size = 35/2 x 24/2 , both keeping the 4x3 ratio(The almost simplified ratio of 35 and 24), and call the down size version Full frame or at best Full frame crop...
Make a long story short, despite my old deep rooted love for Olympus, must say shame on them or more correctly, shame on their marketing administration.

" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 20-01-07 at 03:27.
Old 22-01-07, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
How about line 11 of the LINK.

Or under 3rd highlight, discussion on Sensor, LINK.
"Full-Frame Transfer CCD (exclusively designed for still pictures) that optimises the capabilities of the 8-megapixel CCD. "

I suggest you look up what a full frame transfer ccd is , it has nothing to do with sensor size but the technology applied to it!

In the third line down of your second link they give the image size
"Imaging Size 17.3 x 13.0mm " Is this not what the size of the 4/3rds sensor is?

I also use a Canon dslr and film slr and really do find the 4.3 ratio a lot more friendly for composing as well as fitting most standard print sizes without the nedd for much cropping.

A shame you let your misunderstanding of written technology color your judgment of a very good system

crafty

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Last edited by Craftysnapper; 22-01-07 at 15:00.
Old 23-01-07, 04:14

Quote:
"
Quote:
A shame you let your misunderstanding of written technology color your judgment of a very good system

crafty

Crafty; Anything when fully studied, known, or explained can be easily understood.
Buzz words are rather different expected to serve a clear role, a “Sine qua non” If you may, and when wrongly used rightly, could be deceiving or serve as a dirty luring technique granted to cause frustration once consumer get aware of all the facts. Yes I know what it means exactly at this point but not the first time I read it and let me tell you that I am a generally careful reader by virtue of being prey and victim of several prior fine prints. In fact I had a full clear idea that Olympus’ cheap camera has a large expensive sensor…. As a common person with limited knowledge, don’t you believe anyone would be easily mislead by the way Olympus tries to take advantage of lack of the prospective consumer’s attention? I don't feel at all stupid ,as in putting this question in a different forum; I got a universal anger toward the way Olympus played with words here, over emphasis on Full Frame the way it makes a different concept in mind of less careful or unequipped reader. I could be wrong but I still feel shame to Olympus’ promotional sector, and this is not only what makes me to say this. From legendary OM SLR series that was once used as the one of exclusive lines for NASA's outer space usage (Indicative of level of precision and excellence they achieved in 1970s), and unlike Nikon's F-3HP or FM that were a boosted gizmo version (Entirely different animal than what consumer could put hand on), OM-1 was chosen of the corner camera store’s shelve for space mission. Enough to say about quality and reputation. In today's DSLR market Olympus has chosen an almost negligible share, virtually doesn't exist in North America's market, not even caring to offer their newer models such as E-400 (That are only sold in Europe). Looking at this weeks’ sale in my local electronic chain store (Frys Electronics sku #4633228) 8MP DSLR with 2 lens (E-500) is advertised at 697 US$ and both lenses are the well made original Olympus glasses Zuiko 14-45 and 40-150mm. The entry level of any other manufacturer even without kit lens, won't come close to this embarrassing price... Still in talking with a sale manager, there is no buyer here....... Olympus has concentrated only on point and shot cameras, forget about those precision medical and technical gadget once made by them.
Olympus needs a revolution in their marketing and many other sectors. Many at higher levels need to be terminated, opening seats for the energetic younger drivers that know where to steer.
If it is still shame on me, then may it as well be…

" JOE BIDEN
Old 23-01-07, 08:53

What Olympus need is a new model in the same price range as the D200. An affordable upgrade for the E-1. If the new E-3 is priced [as some predict] at double the price you'd pay for a D200 or Canon's 30D upgrade then I fear sales will be slow - and there will be some great bargains in a years time when they have to offload them! A good midrange model wlould not only sell to E-1 owners but also to those who bought the E-300/E500 etc. and want to go a stage further. And what it needs is some niche USP to attract new users.
I've used Canon, Nikon and Fuji DSLRs but for me - and I appreciate others have come to a completely different conclusion - Olympus haver proved the best. Everyone has their own priorities in their camera use and I have at least tried most of the options beforem reaching this conclusion. I had decided to return to Nikon by buying a D80 to use alongside my E-1 - faster, better af, bigger buffer, more mp etc. specifically for bird shots - but after using the excellent D50 all last year I was a bit dsappointed viewing my D80 results against my old D50 ones and my E-1 pictures. If I'd persevered I'm sure my technique would have improved and I'm not knocking the D80 - I just was'nt as impressed as I'd hoped with it. So I've swapped it for one of those unsaleable E-500s - becoming obsolete so at bargain prices. One advantage with Olympus is the quality of the lenses. The mid range weatherproofed 14-54 f2.8/3.5 and 50-200 f2.8/3.5 are really very good and even the kit lenses - especially the 40-150 - are good quality.
I agree that it's hard to fathom the Olympus marketing strategy. Not sure how well the tiny E-400 is selling - that is definitely a niche camera but will. of course be compared to the D40/400D etc. and look expensive. Just hope they don't sell the camera making part of Olympus to Pasnasonic - not as bad as having Sony on the front of your camera though!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 25-01-07, 05:43

Olympus deserve a lot of praise for moving to 4/3. Oversized clunky DSLR's with big APS sensors that require massive boat-anchor lenses are in desperate need of downsizing. We mere mortals would like to have FULLY-FEATURED portable cameras, instead of being marginalized to cheap point-and-shoot consumer junk. Whether Olympus is the company with the ability and will to make 4/3 shine is uncertain. Unfortunately the megapixel hype race works against them, unless they're smart enough to wage a direct and successful campaign bucking the trend by emphasising the obvious advantages of compact, affordable, portable cameras. It doesn't look like they're going to do this, though. The 4/3 bodies aren't as small as hoped for yet, either. (I'm not sure about the lenses) :/

Last edited by bkrownd; 25-01-07 at 09:20.
Old 26-02-07, 23:28

Has anybody got any sample shots taken with the Sigma 50-500mm with the Sigma 2x converter attached

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 02-05-07, 23:58

Lello, no sample shots, but I was with a customer trying out one on his D80 the other day. I spent some time with him and we had some shots loaded up on the shop PC. Perhaps being over critical now, but we looked at some massively magnified cropped shots using the 1.4 and 2 convertors on this lens. The smaller convertor produced MUCH crisper results for us.
Interestingly, I had put the lens on a D80 for the customer to try, and I had to admit it did 'hunt' around for focus, particularly considering it's an f/2.8 optic. Even more interestingly, the customer came back in again later with his D200 to try again, and focus was better.....still hunting a little, but he was more than happy for his particular application.
There's some faster focus lenses around for similar money, but the versatility of the lense put's it into it's own niche. A nicely finished lens too.
Hope this helps a little
Old 03-05-07, 18:41

Thanks for the feed back Joe
Were you taking the shots outside? if so was it sunny? I have heard that the lens does like a lot of light, and has a tendency to hunt in darker conditions,
There are a lot of people on the bird-forum using this lens, and most seem quite happy.
Thanks again for your input

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos