WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

iPad or iPad Which One?

Old 28-01-10, 20:23

Default iPad or iPad Which One?

iPad or iPad Which One?

It is going to be really tough to determine which Pad is the best for you. This instructive video will help in making that very important decision. Comparison Specification Sheet Included.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/dq1
Old 29-01-10, 00:55

Interesting Ben, as an Apple nut since the days of the Mac Classic, I am resisting the change to intel chips. I still run a multi core G5 Powermac and for me Snow Leopard is a Snow Job as it abandons the Apple promise of backward compatibility. If Nikon did the same I'd jump ship. So I have resisted the iPod, the iPhone and iMac and will do the same for the iPad. For portability I stick with my htc phone and a ten year old Palm Pilot.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 29-01-10, 09:04

Sorry, not drawn in by the hype. Think this is going to be an iFlop. Too big to carry in your pocket, too vulnerable to damage, too big to hold in one hand whilst using the other hand on the screen, too difficult to prop/rest/position such that the screen is at the right angle when not hand held.

Sure, it'll attract a bit of a cult following, simply because it is Apple and perceived as suitably "cool". Is it going to be the paradigm shift (said in the best Dilbert's boss fashion) that Mr Jobs would have us believe? Don't think so.
Old 29-01-10, 15:18

Jack of all trades, master of none. Do not see the point of it at all unless you just want to pose.
Old 29-01-10, 17:38

Can it do flash?
http://theflashblog.com/?p=1703

Last edited by walwyn; 30-01-10 at 10:55.
Old 02-02-10, 20:36

Touch screens are the devil incarnate. I'm a Mac fan and I don't want one. Give me a Macbook any day.
Old 30-04-10, 08:50

Agree that it seems to be jack of all trades and master of none.

I've recently gone with Apple (a couple of years ago) and now have a lot of their gear because I think they are the best out there (MacBook, iMac and iPhone) but the iPad I'm not convinced about.

It seems to have got the expected cult following, plus a bit more I'd say. I wasn't expecting the volume of sales they are reporting. Seems like it would be a nice thing to have lying around in the living room to check mail and surf the web, but if the UK prices are about £400-£500 for the 16GB one then not for me thanks. Take that price down a bit and I might be tempted because I love a gadget, not because I think it would revolutionise my life (although I said the exact thing about the iPhone).

Anyway as for the models, if the 3G ones are expensive as reported they simply don't make sense! So if I were to get one, it'd be one of the cheaper ones as I doubt it would ever not be around a WiFi signal!
Old 30-04-10, 10:10

not interested at all, all the apple products are way to expensive, i have an ipod, which is forever crashing as have all the ipods ive had. plus the file system and tagging sucks. I have installed an alternative operating system so i can have the windows tree system, works much better and doesn't lose music like the apple system on the ipod.

The iphone app thing makes me laugh......do you really need a gay cruising app....maybe! I have loads of apps on my phone and can honestly say i rarely use any of them. As alex said touch screens are evil....smudge smudge smudge scratch smudge....no thanks give me a business phone anyday and i bet i can type a long message twice as fast as any iphone user.

All the apple users i know are snobs and look down there nose at us mortal pc users....probably because they have paid well over the odds for their shiny toy and feel the need to justify that by being an obnoxious pretensious t&*t.

ok rant over....no i wont be buying one.
Old 30-04-10, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfg1mp View Post
not interested at all, all the apple products are way to expensive, i have an ipod, which is forever crashing as have all the ipods ive had. plus the file system and tagging sucks. I have installed an alternative operating system so i can have the windows tree system, works much better and doesn't lose music like the apple system on the ipod.

The iphone app thing makes me laugh......do you really need a gay cruising app....maybe! I have loads of apps on my phone and can honestly say i rarely use any of them. As alex said touch screens are evil....smudge smudge smudge scratch smudge....no thanks give me a business phone anyday and i bet i can type a long message twice as fast as any iphone user.

All the apple users i know are snobs and look down there nose at us mortal pc users....probably because they have paid well over the odds for their shiny toy and feel the need to justify that by being an obnoxious pretensious t&*t.

ok rant over....no i wont be buying one.
I feel I have to slightly come back on this post. It'll be the only reply otherwise this thread will get hijacked into an Apple vs Microsoft thread as they often do and I'm not really interested in that.

It does seem that Apple users get a bad reputation simply because they don't use Windows though, rather than the other way around.

I feel slightly insulted since you've called me an obnoxious pretentious t&*t and a snob, so I'm not sure why I'm taking the time to reply to your post but I'll go ahead and do it anyway.

Market value of anything = whatever the market is willing to pay. If the Apple market are willing to pay more for an OS then great for them, and Apple have positioned themselves brilliantly. If you think it's too expensive, don't buy it.

I love the fact you've picked out some kind of 'gay cruising app' as an example. Forget about the train times, the sat nav, Around Me, converters, sports, social networking etc, and just focus on some fictional app which fits with your point. Whatever your point was. I think 3 billion app downloads proves that a few people like it anyway. Admittedly there is a lot of rubbish on the app store in the form of useless apps and games, but I don't download them.

I've had my original iPhone 2G for pushing 3 years now and don't have a single scratch on it and it still works as well as the day I got it.

Anyway like I said I don't want to hijack this thread but when someone attacks me simply for buying something different to them I feel the need to defend myself. Not sure if you meant it to come across like that. If you did then maybe I made a mistake in replying.
Old 30-04-10, 21:23

Wasn't attacking anyone apart from sharing my experience of the people I know, friends and family that own apple products....if you read the post I said:-

"All the apple users i know are snobs and look down their nose at us mortal pc users"

Being a designer I can appreciate the aesthetic beauty of apple products and its genious the way they have been marketed.

To be honest I am sick off the instability of windows and know apple OS is alot more stable...its a pitty im not willing to pay double for that.

sorry for the offense.....guess i got carried away with my rant.

its totally up to you to buy what you want, The fanboy attitude gets under my skin. Im not a fan of windows or apple, I just like things that work and are fit for purpose.