WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

canon eos 350 d or 20d?

Old 20-02-06, 01:01

Mark,I found your post very interesting.I am still biased re the 20d ,but I am undecided as to which lens to keep on which cam.I do not like changing lenses as my grip is not very good,and yesterday almost lost the 1x4 converter in the river!!!.I use the 100-400 and the 300F4 IS with the 1x4 converter .Which lens would you suggest for which camera.Sorry ,the cams are 20d and 350d.I leave the ISO at 400 for the 300+1x4.It is said that the 20d is the better cam when using at a higher ISO,but do change to 800 if using the 2x,esp if not very bright sunlight.Is there any difference,or does it not matter.I suppose I could do a test with each,but very much doubt I would be any wiser.Just curious,if there would be an advantage to matching the lens with camera.It could be something to do with the focal range .One of these cams ,has I think an extended focal range,due to the size of the sensor?.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 20-02-06, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Mark,I found your post very interesting.I am still biased re the 20d ,but I am undecided as to which lens to keep on which cam.I do not like changing lenses as my grip is not very good,and yesterday almost lost the 1x4 converter in the river!!!.I use the 100-400 and the 300F4 IS with the 1x4 converter .Which lens would you suggest for which camera.Sorry ,the cams are 20d and 350d.I leave the ISO at 400 for the 300+1x4.It is said that the 20d is the better cam when using at a higher ISO,but do change to 800 if using the 2x,esp if not very bright sunlight.Is there any difference,or does it not matter.I suppose I could do a test with each,but very much doubt I would be any wiser.Just curious,if there would be an advantage to matching the lens with camera.It could be something to do with the focal range .One of these cams ,has I think an extended focal range,due to the size of the sensor?.
Hi Christine, I hesitate to advise on which lens on which body - this is going to be a personal preference based on handling etc. Sounds like you shouldn't change lenses on cliff-tops, bridges or boats though

In answer to the technical questions, in general use I have not found any increased noise with the 350D at higher ISO (and this is backed up by other photos I have seen e.g. Annette/psilo posted a shot of a blackbird on BF a month or so ago at very high ISO and it looked very clean, as well as being a great photo!).
As far as I know, both the 350D and 20D have a crop factor of 1.6x based on the smaller sensor, so there is no difference.

Another thing, the slower fps on the 350D can be a pain, especially with smaller faster birds (e.g. I managed a single frame of a Great Tit as it paused on a perch today, where I would have got 2 with the 20D). However, this is mainly because I am used to the 20D...if I was lucky enough to also use a 1D mkII, I would find the 20D slow!

Cheers

Mark.
Old 20-02-06, 22:46

Thanks,Mark,I guess the 300 needs to stop on the 20d then esp if being used with the 1x4,I haven't had a proper chance to put to the test yet,with each camera.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 25-03-06, 09:52
Super Moderator

Default Finally taken the plunge

After months of agonising, with the advent of the 30D (which is beyond my budget) I've grabbed a 20D before they are unavailable . I've ordered it with the 17-85 IS lens and keep looking out of the window waiting for UPS to deliver it (realistically it will be middle of next week )

Everything I've read indicates that there is very little/nothing to choose between them in terms of image quality, and while the 20D has a few additional feature/operational advantages see this article, with the 18-55 lens it is difficult to justify the £300+ price difference. With the lens I've opted for the price difference is much less between the two options ~£100. What finally made the decision for me over the 350D was that, although I've got quite small hands, the 20D feels better balanced (to my mind) with this lens on.

Now wheres that delivery man?
Old 25-03-06, 11:33

Gidders,

As part of my look at in camera processing I have been going through loads of reviews, looking at pics etc.

If I was getting into digital without any old lens stock to worry about, then the 20D would be right at the top of the list, without moving into the realms of a pro camera. So I am sure you will be delighted.

Yes this is a comment from a Nikon nut.

Don