WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Nikon D3 Review

Old 30-05-08, 19:34

Default Nikon D3 Review

Well folks - got my hands on one at last, To all who are used to the D2 series weight, heft, ergonomics - very much the same. Controls are in the expected places so swop over has no nasty surprises bar one that annoys me. I always carry a spare battery - EN-EL4a with compartment cover fixed on. Batteries are interchangeable - great - compartment covers - which look identical are NOT. Very small fractional difference but D2 series compartment covers do not fit D3.

Rear LCD now a great 3" and superb view BUT - it does not come with any protection so only time will tell if it scratches!! Menu similar to D300 with several new additions.

You no longer have a grid you can superimpose - instead you have an artificial horizon to tell you the camera is level - I like the grid so time will tell - I hope I can rely on you all to tell me if my horizons start to wander out of true!!

Viewfinder is brilliant - no other description full 100% - bright and a joy to look through.

One problem is a load of DX lenses although it automatically detects them. But it chops itself down to DX format and reduces itself to 5.1mp - mind you it does then accelerate from 9fps to 11fps - still we'll see - it certainly makes my D70; D200; D2H redundant so I'll be offering some bargains shortly. D2X - I'm not too sure because I like it so much

Have loaded the latest firmware updates and tomorrow I start shooting - Please watch for the posts and let me know what you think. I'll continue to report back on this thread over the near future to keep you up to date.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 30-05-08, 19:48

Thanks for the initial review, Andy.

Hope you enjoy your new camera and please report your first shooting and subsequent assignments.
Old 30-05-08, 20:46

Nice one Andy
Good luck and enjoy

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 30-05-08, 21:40
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post

Rear LCD now a great 3" and superb view BUT - it does not come with any protection so only time will tell if it scratches!!
Mostly just jealous except 'weight/heft' cures that pretty rapidly. You can buy self adhesive protective film to protect the LCD before it scratches; can't find/remember make, but should be on lists - use the sheet you cut to size.
Old 30-05-08, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Mostly just jealous except 'weight/heft' cures that pretty rapidly. You can buy self adhesive protective film to protect the LCD before it scratches; can't find/remember make, but should be on lists - use the sheet you cut to size.
Good suggestion, Chris.

Well recommended.
Old 31-05-08, 12:04

First shot posted - Link Here: http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...1851&nocache=1

- used a Nikkor 35-70 f2.8 which I think will be its "walk about" lens. AF is fast and dare I say a bit of an animal - - I think I would be unsure about using other make lenses as it may rip the guts out of them. It is set to auto at the moment with the 51 sensors on - very very fast and accurate. Following some house martins who nest with us each year is easy and spot on. Weight is fine but with the 70-200 f2.8 or 80-400 lenses it is not something to lug about all day - so I guess I start weight training today.
The full frame format is great - WYSIWYG in the viewfinder - 100% - no more 98% or 95% - full 100% - takes me back to my film days and my stolen F2AS. More to follow.

Last edited by andy153; 31-05-08 at 17:50.
Old 01-06-08, 07:36

Nice one Andy!
A cracking camera, superb spec' and nothing but superb reviews I've read. From what I've read about the camera, the 12 megapixel sensor (which some slated as not being high enough!) delivers results far in excess of what's on paper.
I've not tried one, but I would be interested to see how lightening quick that Continuos AF is. I've heard it's even quicker than D2 series and my D1h cameras. (I still think the F5 film is quicker AF than the D1h,but that's another story)
Interesting you should mention the Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8. I opted for the sigma 24-70 f/2.8 because of the crop on the D1h.....Nice and bright the sigma is, but the build quality is cr@p and the zoom action is dire around the 24-35 range.
Wishing I had a full frame D3 with a REAL lens on it!...in a way,kinda wishing I had gone for the 35-70 Nikon, and relied on the 15-30 Sigma (which I think is an excellent full frame lens) more for the wide shots on the DX cropped D1h

Keep us posted on the D3 Andy

I'm jealous

P.S all my lenses are full frame. You can have the 24-70 if I can have the D3! LOL

P.P.S I've heard whispers of a proposed D3h....anyone know more????!

Last edited by Joe; 01-06-08 at 07:43.
Old 01-06-08, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

P.P.S I've heard whispers of a proposed D3h....anyone know more????!
I have read with interest peoples opinion on the D3 and possible other cameras in the series, D3H / D3X. I personally believe these people are on a flight of fantasy clutching to the former camera designations. Until Nikon launch anything near the D2X with DX sensor I shall not be tempted.

However I read with interest Andy's experience with Nikon's new flagship body. Hope to read more in the coming days / weeks.
Old 01-06-08, 10:00

Quote:
Until Nikon launch anything near the D2X with DX sensor I shall not be tempted.
I have to say that I love my D2X as well, It is interesting that Nikon offer 3 downloadable picture controls for the D300 and the D3 and they are the settings for the D2X. On the D300 I use the D2X settings almost exclusively. I have downloaded both sets but for the time being I am using the D3's own settings. As for D3H's & D3X's - I'm not bothered - on the D2 series Nikon quickly brought out firmware upgrades that increased the functionality of the D2X to D2Xs standard - I assume they will continue the pattern.

FX format -

I'm old enough to remember and have owned a Canon Demi - a film camera that shot half frame 35 mm film. I got 72 instead of 36 shots. Now a days it's Compact Flash cards. The D3 has two slots that can be set up in various ways - one backs up the other or one acts as overflow or one stores RAW the other JPEG - I am using both slots - shooting RAW & Large JPEG - no compression and Optimal Quality. I have a 16Gb card in slot one and a 12Gb card in slot two - set as overflow. Picture count shows 524. Set to small jpeg alone and you are into thousands.
On the D3 the FX format is immediately noticeable when transfered to Photoshop - pictures are sharper, clearer and detail is superb especially in shadows. They are a lot easier to edit if you are working on the small details - I'm going to do a side by side comparison with some D2x shots and will report back because they do seem clearer than the D2X.

In many ways I agree with Stephen - As a D2X owner I was not really bothered but the opportunity arose to be able to afford D300 and D3 so I took it. AF and follow focus are definitely better with both D3 and D300 than the D2X or D200. They are faster and more responsive - as I said before its an animal on both.

More to follow - Andy

Old 01-06-08, 10:06

I am sure focus is quicker with advances in the field of microprocessing but just how quick do it need to be. My D2X can track a FAST jet at 650mph no problem and take a series of shots all in focus. In my field the D3 is no better than a D2X however wedding photographer would really benefit from full frame, excellent low noise and low light focus performance. I am sure there are other fields that the D3 will be better than a D2X but for me, D2X is probably still the best and in its fourth season.