WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Maths in photography

Old 04-05-12, 01:22

Default Maths in photography

Do you think there's a sense of mathematical pattern in good compositions of images? Even in abstract images there's some kind of geometry, some pattern, can't put my finger on it...
Old 04-05-12, 20:23

I am no mathematician (an under statement if ever there was one) but I have read that there are several mathematical rules which guide composition. What I mean is if you analyse pleasing compositions then very often proportions and positions of subjects shows that an underlying formula applies in the majority of cases. Compositional rules are not rules of course but guidelines to be understood and applied where appropriate but not rigidly adhered to in every case.
Old 10-05-12, 09:58

Try googling the 'golden ratio'.
Old 10-05-12, 10:47

Like Mike I am no mathematician but yes composition can be worked to "composition by numbers". Could also Google perspective, composition any other words you can think of.
In my opinion learn too many rules and you have to brake one to follow another. Away from the math composition can also be about things like shape, form, colour, texture, light and dark, the balance of one thing with or against another, the list goes on and on.
All too much for my old brain much prefer "if it looks right it is".
Never the less, rules/guidelines good to know and use and then forget when you choose.

P.s. Just found http://www.photographymad.com/pages/...position-rules . 10 basic guidelines for digital composition.

Last edited by Arthur53; 10-05-12 at 11:44.
Old 18-07-12, 11:14

Hi Aly.
I can only repeat looking on the internet as composition using mathematical formulas or not is a huge subject. Try some of the words / ideas above in Google etc.
Lots of articles at.
http://photoinf.com/ on composition not all mathematical. Hope it helps, just the start of a subject you could study for years.
Old 24-02-16, 15:43

Default 1.618

The well known 'rule of thirds', which can be useful if not followed too slavishly,
is an approximation of the golden section (golden mean/ golden ratio). This idea came from the Greeks and many people thinks that it's just an abstract mathematical idea. This is not the case; e.g. it determines the angle at which leaf shoots must grow out from the stem in order to gain maximum value from the light.
A more recent example has been found in the theory which describes the physics of black holes.
The ratio is usually written as 1/1.618, although this is not the exact value.
GHK
Old 29-02-16, 16:22

You shouldn't worry about composition, take the shot and if your happy with it... then it's a bonus. There are no rules really. You only have yourself to please : ) it doesn't matter if anyone one else like the photo or not. If you're thinking to much about composition then your not out taking photos.

IPM photography
www.i-shootfilm.com
Old 20-07-17, 06:13

Yes, i also see and read some kind of mathematical equations present in guidelines image composition. But honestly i am weak in maths so i didn't understand what is that calculation all about.
Old 20-07-17, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Alice View Post
Yes, i also see and read some kind of mathematical equations present in guidelines image composition. But honestly i am weak in maths so i didn't understand what is that calculation all about.
I'm sorry, but I am not sure exactly what you are saying; are you just making a comment or are you asking for some sort of help or information>
GHK