WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Noise

Old 26-09-16, 20:40

Default Noise

I bought recently a Canon 7d Mark II and I noticed that I have noise in my photos.
For example, I took a photo with the Canon EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM with the following settings: f5.0 speed 1/80 ISO-1000.
What could be wrong?
Old 26-09-16, 22:26

Unless the you put up the picture for review, its hard to speculate on excess noise. If you can, add you picture in concern here and you will have better response.
In short, if you decrease you ISO by choosing a wider F or longer shutter time, you will have much less noise but then the sensor in your camera is excellent and ISO 1000 should not be a problem. In fact 3200 or even 6400 should be relatively noise free. This holds good, even with most other newer cameras that do not have as good a sensor as yours.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 26-09-16, 23:49

Do you want the original CR2 file or a converted jpg should be fine?
I'm only asking that because of the file size.
Old 27-09-16, 00:24

Noise is normally not a problem with the 7D MK11, what little noise you get at 1000 ISO should easily be overcome in most editors as this photo shows. ISO 16000. However like most DLSRs you do need a correct exposure.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...161&ppuser=150

Harry
Old 27-09-16, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarquespt View Post
Do you want the original CR2 file or a converted jpg should be fine?
I'm only asking that because of the file size.
Though anything closer to original image, is best to view, if you can't find a hosting site that can have a link here, leaving the JPG conversion here should suffice.

" JOE BIDEN
Old 27-09-16, 08:53

Here it is. I cropped a part of the photo but mantaining the scale.
If you zoom in to 66% you'll see.
Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102A0216.jpg (497.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 27-09-16, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
Noise is normally not a problem with the 7D MK11, what little noise you get at 1000 ISO should easily be overcome in most editors as this photo shows. ISO 16000. However like most DLSRs you do need a correct exposure.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...161&ppuser=150

Harry
How do you manage the noise? Using the noise reduction in the camera raw? Won't be too "fake" photo?
Old 27-09-16, 09:32

Yes I see what you are talking about but to me, this is normal for your ISO/light condition. If you see the hair, you do see how much detail you already have for the light condition. Skin texture can definitely receive a boost from post processing Noise Reduction.

To reduce noise, you can use either a dedicated software such as NeatImage (LINK to a free small size image download) or Topaz or many other softwares but as I suppose you already have LR to process RAW, you can use the noise reduction right there.

In camera post processing is not something I look for and more over you do RAW imaging to have Negative equivalent, that is no post processing at all, including No WB.

Is it fake to do post processing? Well if you do it carelessly or cook the image too much but in moderation, you can achieve a lot in a subtle way that is beneficial to image and pleasing to viewer's eyes. Harry (Who happens to shoot with your exact same camera) gave you a good sample of ISO 16000 with right exposure (And if I am not wrong, post process NR) to see how much can be improved so give it a try and see what you can achieve.

" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 27-09-16 at 09:36.
Old 27-09-16, 19:42

Is it fake to edit your photos? As a photographer since 1950 I say editing is essential, especially when shooting in the raw format, so the quick answer is NO, but manipulating an image could fake the result.
A camera raw image file contains minimally processed data from the image sensor. This would be useless without converting/editing. Cameras have inbuilt electronics, which can convert the raw data into such as a Jpg. However this conversion is actually editing by the camera manufacturers engineers to produce a Jpg image which In their opinion matches the actual scene without ever seeing the scene as you or I see it.

However a Raw file is exactly that, the basic image without editing by the manufacturer, so must be edited by the consumer.
There is however a massive difference between editing an image and manipulating an image. Editing is essential with a raw file and allows us to adjust the image so that it looks natural. However some people overdo the editing and this may look fake. Getting the balance right is what you should aim for.

Noise is apparent in your example, unfortunately noise is a price we pay by using digital, but should not be as apparent as in your photo, The full exif would help to determine the problem, assuming there is one,
Would you confirm that the sample you provided is a 100% crop, or are we seeing an enlarged section of the image. Noise will always be apparent if you pixel peep.
I suggest you upload a Jpg with full exif.

Harry