WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Client demanding retrospective copyright waiver

Old 03-05-12, 14:51

Default Client demanding retrospective copyright waiver

Hello

I've recently done a shoot for a local council - photos of interior and exterior of local mosques for a BME document regarding safeguarding children at mosques. The photos have been delivered and my fee paid, but now I've received a demand to sign away my copyright and moral rights to all images taken on the shoot (entire universe, any formats, to infinity and beyond etc) .

Many of the chosen images for the publication included photos of children with no permission from parents (though permission of the mosque/imam). All chosen photos containing children have backs of heads/blurred/obscured so that nobody can be recognised.

They demand waiver of copyright for all images, which includes innocent photos of minarets, calligraphy, carpets etc. My initial feeling is to tell them to shove it - as none of these issues were raised pre commissioning. I understand that this may mean that they don't use the photos in the document, which would be a shame as I also designed the book and it would be a good addition to my portfolio (that said, if I sign then I won't be allowed to use it in my portfolio).

any advice gratefull received,
ta
rhys
Old 03-05-12, 15:23

Default copyright

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys webber View Post
Hello

I've recently done a shoot for a local council - photos of interior and exterior of local mosques for a BME document regarding safeguarding children at mosques. The photos have been delivered and my fee paid, but now I've received a demand to sign away my copyright and moral rights to all images taken on the shoot (entire universe, any formats, to infinity and beyond etc) .

Many of the chosen images for the publication included photos of children with no permission from parents (though permission of the mosque/imam). All chosen photos containing children have backs of heads/blurred/obscured so that nobody can be recognised.

They demand waiver of copyright for all images, which includes innocent photos of minarets, calligraphy, carpets etc. My initial feeling is to tell them to shove it - as none of these issues were raised pre commissioning. I understand that this may mean that they don't use the photos in the document, which would be a shame as I also designed the book and it would be a good addition to my portfolio (that said, if I sign then I won't be allowed to use it in my portfolio).

any advice gratefull received,
ta
rhys
You took the photos and copyright is yours unless a contract was signed to
to say you would pass on copyright to client

you have been paid for your services not the right to own your work and sell it on to rest of the world

that is why when phtographers take photos of models they get them to sign
a model release form
Old 03-05-12, 15:47
Super Moderator

Explain to them the additional charge per photo (you'll need to work out a fee that you'd find acceptable) for you to sign over copyright and say you'll sign a waiver once the fee is paid. If you are unlikely to be ble to sell the same images again then it might be worth cashing in, though once they see the cost they might change their thinking. I am assuming that you had a signed contract explains what would be supplied and what isn't included. Perhaps try offering a reduced to allow them future use while till retaining the copyright.
Old 04-05-12, 20:25

They are trying to rob you to be blunt!

Tags
copyright