WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

18-55mm Lenses

Old 09-05-10, 14:40

Default 18-55mm Lenses

I don't have anywhere near enough money to buy really good lenses for my 500d and only have the 18-55 IS kit lens and 55-250 IS lenses. I was considering selling it to get the much better 50mm f1.8 prime lens....But, I want something wider too, I can't afford t get the 50mm lens and keep the 18-55, so it's now out of the question.

Anyway, I thought, as I am stuck with the 18-55 lens, is there a slightly better one I could use rather than the IS version, as I'm not really overawed with it's performance and the reviews of it aren't brilliant either.

I often look at the Ken Rockwell site for reviews etc and it seems he prefers the old 18-55 lens to the newer IS one: If you scroll down to the Recommendations part http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-55mm-is.htm

I'm not too bothered about the IS on this lens, so that's not an issue. The thing is, although I normally trust Ken Rockwell's opinion of cameras and equipment, most other sites, including reviews on Amazon say the IS 18-55 lens is better.

I'm thinking about buying one cheaply on ebay to see if there is much dfference between the two. If there isn't much difference in image quality etc., that I can see, then I could sell the IS lens and have a bit of money over for something else I need.

Last edited by Sally; 09-05-10 at 14:43.
Old 09-05-10, 15:08

Why not look at selling both and getting an EF-S 18-200 mm Canon lens? That also has IS. With my DX sensor Nikons this was always my first lens of choice. It is a very useful focal length zoom to have. Ask yourself - how often do I use the 250 mm length of the 55-250? It would give you most of the focal length you use now in one lens. If you look at Ken Rockwell he has some critique of it - but do not forget Ken often speaks with tongue in cheek

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 09-05-10, 15:10

Dear old Ken - if you really listened to him you'd have a Nikon D40 or an FM3a.

I don't think the 50mm prime is 'much better' than the kit lens, after all the kit lens is reputed to be quite good.

What is actually wrong with your current lens setup? It looks pretty comprehensive to me. What do you want to do that you can't do already?
Old 09-05-10, 16:40

Sally,

Ken Rockwell is very good at self-publicity. However, he does things primarily to generate interest in his own site, rather than any other motive.

If you're strapped for cash, then keep the 18-55 you have. Most kit lenses are pretty good as long as you don't use them wide open at the extremes of their zoom ranges. Learn to use what you have. Stop it down a bit to get the quality up, use a tripod, take your time. This will improve your photography far more than any change of kit.

I'm no expert on the Canon lens line up, but I'd be surprised if you'd really notice that much difference between one flavour of kit lens and another.

Duncan
Old 09-05-10, 20:15
Super Moderator

I wouldn't pay much (if any) attention to what Ken Rockwell says... from what I have read and seen the IS version of the Canon kit lens is a definite improvement on the previous one. The Canon 50 f1.8 is an amazing lens (especially given the relatively low price) and is definitely worth picking up at somepoint in the future.
Old 09-05-10, 21:25

All the magazine reviews I have read agree that the IS version of the 18-55 is an improvement on the original none IS in terms of optical quality. Good old Ken loves to create a bit of controversy but take what he says with a large pinch of salt. The 50mm f1.8 lens is excellent optically but you would lose versatility, I would wait until you can afford a real improvement. Swapping one kit lens for another is never going to get you anywhere, they are all built down to a price and/or are a compromise in some way.
Old 10-05-10, 00:01
Super Moderator

Looking at the tests on www.slrgear.com the newer IS lens - wide open out performs the older lens even when its stopped down two stops ... and by all accounts is one of the best kit lenses out there - keep it

Again looking at the tests the 18-200, while having a centre sweet spot, its a bit soft at the edges and not a match in the 18-55 range for your current lens.

As Alex asks - what are you looking for that your current set up doesn't give you?
Old 10-05-10, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
Looking at the tests on www.slrgear.com the newer IS lens - wide open out performs the older lens even when its stopped down two stops ... and by all accounts is one of the best kit lenses out there - keep it

Again looking at the tests the 18-200, while having a centre sweet spot, its a bit soft at the edges and not a match in the 18-55 range for your current lens.

As Alex asks - what are you looking for that your current set up doesn't give you?
Thanks for all the replies!

I will keep the 18-55 lens and wait until I can afford the 50mm. I had just heard and read on some sites, that the 18-55 lens I had was not very good in lots of ways and I really wanted to have the best lens that I could afford. But at the same time didn't want to lose the wide (although 18 is not super wide) angle aspect which I would have if I had just the 50mm.

Anyway, thanks again guys!!
Old 10-05-10, 13:58

Gidders, I've just looked at that link and the review is for the USM version of my lens. I haven't got that, only the basic IS lens.
Old 10-05-10, 16:41

I still don't think you will get anything better than you have for the sort of money you are looking at.