WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Nikon D200

Old 08-04-07, 09:04

Default Nikon D200

Well after months of drooling on shop windows and computer screens I did eventually buy myself a D200 yesterday along with the 18-200 VR lens (think I got the last lens in Brisbane!!) and I love it. This is my first DSLR and my first SLR for many years and I just had to share my happyness

I've posted a few shots in my Gallery in any of you want to rate them or slate them.

Happy Easter
Fiona
Old 08-04-07, 09:20

Top Job! Fiona.

D200 is an excellent choice, hope it continues to provide happiness.
Old 08-04-07, 09:28

Thanks Stephen. I'm going to have lots of fun with it. Even the the shutter sounds sweet!
Old 09-04-07, 00:53

Congratulations Fiona. You simply won't regret of your purchase. Of course I have heard a lot of happier stories with buyers of Can... but you just did the best favor to yourself to enter into DSLR world with one such an excellent tools, both the body and the magnificent lens. A friend of mine with several VR lenses is most satisfied with this 28-200. Well now be ready for more saving as list of accessories that will look like a must are rather extensive and in a very close horizon.
Have fun photographing.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 09-04-07, 05:36

Cheers Sassan I've already started a shopping list to get as and when I can afford to.

Better Tripod
Macro Lens + possibley others
Flash
More CF cards

Just the basics for the time being but if anyone can suggest anymore or something I've missed I'll add it to the list.
Old 09-04-07, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by finlaw View Post
if anyone can suggest anymore or something I've missed I'll add it to the list.
Hi Fiona,

The one you've missed off the list that should be bought before any of your suggested items is:
Spare battery

All the extras/accessories in the world can be rendered useless without one of these.

Duncan
Old 09-04-07, 11:07

Cheers Duncan I have the batteries covered. I bought 2 extra when I got the camera.
Old 10-04-07, 05:16

I think I have a telepathy with Duncan. Its only who gets to answer first.
By far battery is the first thing you want to add.
I hope you have got your extra batteries of ebay and not from the camera shop or the Original Nikon's. As otherwise you might have paid a lot more. I get a typical extra battery for my Canon XT or 30D for about $10 including shipping and handling and boy you need those extra ones on every special occasion. Just checked ebay, a quick find is here for 2 packs (Canon is a lot cheaper. You should have asked me before buying Nikon ):
LINK
Battery grip would be another good option. Because it combines two batteries, your usable time is extremely prolonged and you not only have better grip but better option to click the shutter in vertical frame format with the extra shutter release.

Extra memory is your next needy on the list.

You can substitute this with a 2.5 mobile hard drive memory reader that is a world by itself considering needed storage it provides you (On a journey for eg). I believe that was nirofo that gave a very good suggestion sometimes back in forum for less than $100 to get a mobile hard drive of say 120GB put in the external hard drive self powered case, if you are willing to put it up together yourself (You need to be a bit handy with computer componant but quite simple) So check the forum. Alternatively here is an example of what I suggest:
LINK

Next is the UV and Circular polarizer filters.

Next is a good and comfortable carrying bag for most gadgets needed on a typical shooting secession.

Next off camera flash or flash cable especially for your portrait needs. Alternative is flash slave. Depending on how much you want to put down a budget, you can go for very simple manual slave or top of the line TTL off camera wireless flash with slave.

Next is the other extra lens,
next L I S T G O E S O N & O N . . .

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 10-04-07 at 05:30.
Old 10-04-07, 08:02

I would be wary of buying third party batteries. I have heard of several cases of them catching fire while recharging. There was someone on (I think) Bird Forum whose house would have burnt down were it not for the fire brigade.
Old 10-04-07, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by finlaw View Post
Just the basics for the time being but if anyone can suggest anymore or something I've missed I'll add it to the list.
Fiona,

Depending on your style of photography then a monopod may be a useful addition. On out and about days mine gets a lot more use than a tripod. It is a lot easier to carry on a hike.

Don