WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Before posting to this forum ...

Old 19-01-07, 21:49

Default Before posting to this forum ...

... do you correct the photo for web browsers?
Old 20-01-07, 02:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
... do you correct the photo for web browsers?
If you mean do we save the image for the web before publishing it then in my case the answers yes. I usually reduce the size of my TIF image from roughly 28mb to approx 750x490 then save for web. The resulting JPEG image is approx 195K when saved for web, if you check my image posts you'll see they are all about this size. If you mean do we do any cosmetic alterations before publishing on the web, well, in my case I do all my alterations to the original file, then save a copy with a new name as a TIF before reducing it to an image size suitable for the web.

I do about 20% of my work in Nikon Capture NX, rendering RAW NEF files into useable TIF files and about 80% in Photoshop.

nirofo.
Old 20-01-07, 02:51

I was thinking more in terms of visual changes as I've notice that an image can look very different when rendered in a web page from how it looks when rendered in the photo editing software.
Old 20-01-07, 08:32

Quote:
I was thinking more in terms of visual changes as I've notice that an image can look very different when rendered in a web page from how it looks when rendered in the photo editing software.
This could be down to colour space. Always convert to SRGB before saving if the photo is going to be displayed using web browsers.
Old 20-01-07, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox View Post
This could be down to colour space. Always convert to SRGB before saving if the photo is going to be displayed using web browsers.

Yes I agree, there's a definite colour difference between Adobe RGB and SRGB, all web browsers require SRGB as default and will look different on your monitor screen if they receive something different. I always convert from Adobe RGB to SRGB before I publish to the web, you can set up an action in Photoshop to do it for you automatically each time you convert an image for the web.

nirofo.
Old 20-01-07, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
I always convert from Adobe RGB to SRGB before I publish to the web, you can set up an action in Photoshop to do it for you automatically each time you convert an image for the web.

nirofo.
Thats exactly what I do, I configured F12 to run an action that coverts to SRGB then 8-bit. All I have to do then is save as JPEG and find the location on hard disk where it is to be stored.
Old 20-01-07, 21:48

I'm using PhotoImpact which is setup to save in sRGB. However, when I look at the image on the website there seems to be a loss of vibrancy. I'd thought that perhaps it was an illusion. However, I've just loaded one image into PSP XI and noticed the same affect. So it looks like its something in PhotoImpact just wish I knew what it was.
Old 21-01-07, 02:03

Quote:
I'm using PhotoImpact which is setup to save in sRGB. However, when I look at the image on the website there seems to be a loss of vibrancy. I'd thought that perhaps it was an illusion. However, I've just loaded one image into PSP XI and noticed the same affect. So it looks like its something in PhotoImpact just wish I knew what it was.

Hi walwyn

Are you sure your monitor is set up correctly for contrast, brightness and gamma. Also what colour temperature is it set to, best results are usually in the range of 6500K.

Here's a web link full of good info on Colour Management.

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfin...tml#QuickGamma

Avery usefull utility for setting up the gamma for your monitor can be downloaded free here.

http://www.normankoren.com/QuickGammaV2EN.exe

nirofo.