WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Primes vs. Zooms

Old 26-05-10, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
Don't forget that we don't all have a bottomless pit of money. I'm a student and so very strapped for cash (hence my decision to shoot film on a 70s SLR - may sound silly but I've done the maths and it works out). For me zooms that rival the quality of my primes are just completely way out of budget (me being cheap doesn't help). Exotic L-series Canons or 70-200 f2.8s are completely unaccessible to me. As for keeping two lenses on two bodies...I can dream.
Very good point Alex, - I agree and some of us (namely me) can be so infected with Nikon Acquisition Syndrome that we have to be strapped down, foaming at the mouth when ever something new in black and gold appears. That said a second OM 10 ? body from the 70's may be worth saving for?

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 01-06-10, 13:15

Well all is said and done, people can get excellent photos from cameraphones. Too often I think we are obsessed with technical details and quality that most couldn't care less about.

Buy whatever kit you think will work for you, but don't be surprised when someone with kit costing a fraction of the price gets amazing results too.
Old 02-06-10, 22:42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
... but don't be surprised when someone with kit costing a fraction of the price gets amazing results too.
That's a real bugger .... but so true
Old 03-06-10, 14:02

Don't forget that the best lens is the one you have with you, on a camera that works, loaded with a fresh memory card or a roll of film ;-)
Old 03-06-10, 19:36

Only true up to a point.The best lens you have with you is the one you have with you if you only have one with you. If you see an extremely rare nervous bird a long way away and you have only got a 10mm wide angle with you don't bother but just enjoy the sight!
Old 03-06-10, 19:50

Unlikely that the only worthwhile sight on that trip would have been just the bird - I'm sure there would have been possibilities to use the 10mm as well.
Old 04-06-10, 09:20

Well I have had this situation where I have gone out with a particular purpose in mind armed with only a wide zoom (10-20mm) only to find that the only thing really worth shooting was a distant rare bird that I would probably never see again. My wife, bless her, just said sweetly 'never mind dear just be glad you saw it at all, enjoy it, and forget your camera for once'. She had a point but it is not easy to do, it rankles. It is the old argument of how much weight of gear to carry around and zooms certainly help but Sods Law strikes! Incidentally Sod was a real bloke, must have loved his name. Actually when planning a day out with the camera it is more Howes Law but never mind.
Old 07-06-10, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Actually when planning a day out with the camera it is more ...
Very easy for me I just have to decide whether to take the Raynox DCR-250 or DCR-150 along with the pana. All fits nicely into a bag I can clip to my belt.
Old 13-10-10, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Well said - Another point is that most Camera/Lens makers respond to what the market wants or needs - if no one wanted primes and/or zooms - then one or the other would disappear from their catalogues. As a photographer I try and have the highest quality, most effective and flexible for the job lenses with me at the necessary times - pity the chap with the super duper 50 mm f1.2 prime who arrives and finds there is not enough room at a location for him to step back or move forward to be able to frame the shot.
Thats ok, he just gets out his 35mm, 28mm or 17mm prime instead...Primes are small and light so its easy to carry several with you so you can cover a range of focal lengths and whichever you use will give you excellent quality...As opposed to the so-so quality at a range of focal lengths you get with a zoom.
Old 19-07-11, 20:00

I agree with the previous comments about old chestnut, perhaps this may have been more important ten years ago, but I remember carrying my Nikon F Photomic Ftn, 28mm, 50mm, 135mm, 200mm, 300mm, 500mm.

I now have a Canon, Canon 28-135 and Sigma 120-400. My 16 year old son a Nikon and Nikkor 28-300, NO primes, no weight issues.