WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Which lens shall I buy?

Old 07-09-13, 10:22

Default Which lens shall I buy?

Hello - I am a product photographer and looking to get a lens for my Nikon D800E. Basically I do small product photography like jewellery ring etc. Can anyone suggest me the lens that is best for my purpose. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Old 07-09-13, 17:16

What can't you do with the lenses you already have or you feel could be done so much better/easier. Come to that what equipment do you already have?
Old 07-09-13, 21:28
Super Moderator

I don't use a Nikon so cannot recommend a specific lens but I would suggest looking for a macro lens with a focal length of ~100mm. I am sure Nikon make one (105mm I think) but there are also good options from other manufacturers such as Sigma and Tamron.
Old 08-09-13, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakilearl View Post
Hello - I am a product photographer and looking to get a lens for my Nikon D800E. Basically I do small product photography like jewellery ring etc. Can anyone suggest me the lens that is best for my purpose. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
You're a professional photographer and you don't know which lens to buy!
Old 08-09-13, 13:51

The fact that he does product photography does not make him a professional, some people do their own product photography to sell stuff on ebay. Anyway simple lighting, an uncluttered arrangement and set up with a macro lens on the camera plus using a tripod is the way to go.
Old 09-09-13, 12:21

Hello Mike - The lens that I am currently using is Nikon Nikkor AF-S Zoom lens - 18 mm - 300 mm - F/3.5-5.6 - Nikon F. But I am not very satisfied with the quality that this lens produces for small products like jewellery ring etc. So I am re-thinking buy another lens but I need suggestions from experts.
Old 09-09-13, 15:10

First thing that hit me when seeing your reply is what a huge mismatch you have between the camera body you have and your lens. There is no way such a general purpose wide zoom range lens (from any manufacturer) can even approach revealing what that body is capable of producing. Your camera is completely wasted with such a lens. I think that if you put a top notch lens on that camera body you would be astonished at the quality it is capable of.
Not only that but the detail it is capable of producing demands not only top quality lenses but also impeccable technique on your part. Buy a high quality macro lens (I would suggest the Nikon one) and use it with the camera on a solid tripod preferably with a cable release or use the self timer. The ideal would be to also use mirror lock up plus low ISO. Hope that helps.
Old 09-09-13, 22:39

Been thinking. Because of the high end body we have assumed you would like the best option which is the dedicated macro lens as outlined above but there are cheaper ways if you do not want to spend that much. I would suggest that buying something like Nikon's 50mm f1.8 lens (about £104 new) and use that in conjunction with either auto extension tubes (the Kenko ones are fine and cheaper than Nikon's own) or with close up filters (like Hoya's) would give you perfectly adequate results and better than you are getting now. Of those two the extension tubes are probably the better more versatile option but the filter would be the cheaper of the two.
Old 10-09-13, 07:29

Hello Mike - I understand what you wanted to mean. I knew my purchase was wrong specially the lens. I tried to take better photos in many different ways but it never gives me sharper and nice photos specially when the product is small. It works like for larger products but not for small.

I've received similar suggestion for the 50mm f1.8 lens from many people and now I think this would be the best option for me.

I think I'll sell my existing telephoto lens and purchase the 50mm one.

Thanks for your valuable feedback.
Old 11-09-13, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
The fact that he does product photography does not make him a professional, some people do their own product photography to sell stuff on ebay. Anyway simple lighting, an uncluttered arrangement and set up with a macro lens on the camera plus using a tripod is the way to go.
The reason I said he was a professional is because that is what he claims to be on his profile page.

HERE is a link to it if you don't know how to look at it yourself. Then select ABOUT ME.

Tags
best lens