WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Three Number RED, GREEN and COLOR VALUES

Old 19-01-16, 21:33

Default Three Number RED, GREEN and COLOR VALUES

These NUMBERS are OPEN ENDEDED from 000 000 000 (r g b) TOTAL BLACK tp 256. 256 256 (r g b) TOTAL WHITE.
There is a fine selection of VALUES when multiplying 256 X256 X 256 totalling 16 mil 777 thou and a couple of hundred separate values. I guess every color known on the planet is between the outer figures.
First - in PAINT SHOP PRO -> EDIT -> EFFECTS, I put a TIF work copy through a PLUG IN called PERFECTLY CLEAR.
That done - I go to my EDIT -> PALETTE -> MATERIALS SWATCHES PAGE.
Next - I go to my TIF and open it up to 1000% or so MAX and check for any areas needing touch ups. I do this with my probe which gives me a 3 number value. Then I click on FORGROUND BOX to open further. Then I go to the edge TIF correction area and click on it. Those 3 NUMBERS automatically are put in R G B boxes in my SWATCH SCREEN area along with the blended color from them. Then I click on OK to give me my FOREGROUND BOX color for TWEAKING.
Then - I use a very small PAINT TOOL BRUSH SIZE (1, 2 or 3) (for larger tweaking areas I may go up to BRUSH SIZE 10 or so) and then click all over the area needing touch up - very slowly - depending size of enlargement of TIF image. I even use a magnifying glass if the TWEAKING area is particularly small.
If I cannot find the color I want in image - I can scan in any hard copy material from outside sources, do a SAVE AS of any image reproduction off the net. Then I do a scan with the probe for any 3 NUMBER COLOR VALUES or BLACK and WHITE and SEPIA TONAL VALUES and click on those - if need be - the same way I do the above way. I
That done - I go over the whole image doing this. If need be, I can manually adjust my R G B 3 NUMBERS as well to achieve the color needed. Here is a link for 3 number color values - http://rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm
The two illustrations are done this way.

I love the Old Masters for incentive and compositional ideas.

Last edited by nldunne; 19-01-16 at 21:41.
Old 20-01-16, 15:10

This image is done as described above. I tried to bring out leaves - very subtly - that are in the deeper part of shade - ever so slightly using this technique.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 Rainy Day, EDIT - PERFECTLY CLEAR - ADJUST TOOLS.jpg (128.1 KB, 8 views)

Old 20-01-16, 22:00

Good and extensive discussion.
Now Norm could you please care to show this method in real action, in an image that is also edited by others? So that one can conclude towards the merits of your method?
I am talking of participating in this "Editing Game" in "Home" section of forum.
& For your convenience there is a direct link below:

LINK
to image you should download and edit by your method.

LINK
to Game section.

I am waiting to see how your three number can be applied over that image, once you upload your result in the forum.
I hope this is not too much to ask, as you have been discussing about this editing method for a long time.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 20-01-16, 23:07

LI will see if I can make it work - otherwise - I will have to post my material here.

Old 21-01-16, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nldunne View Post
LI will see if I can make it work - otherwise - I will have to post my material here.
Good.
Any time you win any of the games, you continue that game with placing your own material. So you see this can be very exciting.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 21-01-16, 18:18

Here is an example of an original and one I worked on using my 3 COLOR (R G and B) boxes and 3 NUMBER VALUES for EACH.
In the corrected one - I did glass glare removal a bit and toned the bright side forehead edge and cheek edge down a bit - to make it easier on the eyes - using the 3 NUMBER COLOR and VALUES.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02010.jpg (208.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCO2010 EDIT - ADJUST TOOLS - SMART PHOTO FIX.jpg (175.8 KB, 5 views)

Old 22-01-16, 19:22

For Mo;

In this example I did a SAVE AS of a painting reproduction off the web. In the art program I worked over the bright part of the face to get 3 NUMBER VALUE for R G and B.
That NOTED, I set to work to bring my ORIGINAL IMAGE which is Brighter down to the same 3 NUMBER VALUE for R G B as close as I could. With effort I did bring it very close to the painting VALUES
My brightest image is the Original and the slightly darker one (blue background) is the worked up version. My RED is 253 to 255 in the original and 238 (same as in painting reproduction) in the worked up version.

Last edited by nldunne; 22-01-16 at 19:24.
Old 22-01-16, 22:23

As I thought about my 3 Number, 3 Color Values, I came to the conclusion that the same procedure stated here could very well be used for BLACK and WHITE plus SEPIA images.

Old 22-01-16, 22:47

In this example I used an image by Yousef Karsh of Queen Elizabeth II as my brightness guide on the face for my 3 Color and 3 Number Values in B and W. I used the bright spot on the Queen's forehead - above her left - our right - eye as my guide to reach VALUE 200 - 202 on ANNE'S NEAR CHEEK.
The wide view is the original and the Square - Almost is the one based on Karsh image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 059.JPG (73.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 059 ANNE in KETCHIKAN, EDIT - ADJUST - HIGH PASS SHARPEN, BASED on KARSH QUEEN'S IMAGE..jpg (78.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Queen.jpg (5.4 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by nldunne; 23-01-16 at 15:03.
Old 23-01-16, 23:13

Another way to get black and white images for checking one's b and w images.
Take a famous painting and make a b and w of that. Then do the 3 COLOR - R G and B 3 NUMBER VALUES from that and apply them to one's b and w image.