WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

advice on tripod head please

Old 22-10-09, 16:39

Default advice on tripod head please

Hi,can anyone addvise me on a good tripod head,or a better one than the one I have just now.
I got what I could aford,and the tripod is a GIOTTOS MTL 9361B,and the head that came with it is,MH5OO1.
Ok, I know it's a bottom market set up,but the tripod is working for me,but I would like to put a better head onto the tripod,but I can't spend any thing much over £230ish.
I use a sigma 150x500,and what I would like is to get a head that has a fixing, the same size as what the foot on the lens has,you know, where you screw the quick release plate onto,
any help/addvise would be good,thank you....Ian
Old 22-10-09, 19:40
Super Moderator

For long lens work I use a Jobu gimbal head they aren't cheap but they are very well made and work beautifully. http://www.tripods-heads-gimbals.com...al_heads?id=13 this is the one I've been using for the past few years, I'd highly recommend it. The alternative would be a heavy duty video head (like the Manfrotto 501), they can be very solid, but the movement is not as quick and easy as a gimbal. Either option would be good for long lens work but not so good for other photography, so it's worth working out where your priorities are before buying. Not sure where you are in Norfolk, but I'm near Swaffham if you want to meet up and try the Jobu.
Old 22-10-09, 20:48

thanks postcardcv,thats the sort'a thing I would like to get,and not quite breaking the bank,
Old 22-10-09, 21:46

Have a look at this ebay ad.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Manfrotto-128R...item1c0d5e1616

nirofo.
Old 22-10-09, 22:04

I would also recommend a Jobu black widow Gimbal, they are superbly made and if you like bird photography then Gimbal heads have no equal.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 22-10-09, 22:26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
Have a look at this ebay ad.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Manfrotto-128R...item1c0d5e1616

nirofo.
The 128 is a cracking head for use with a small video camera or a spotting scope, but it's not ideal for use with a long lens. I notice that on the listing the seller claims that it's ideal for use with a 500 f4! The head is not rated to hold that kind of weight and it would be madness to put such a big lens on it.
Old 23-10-09, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
The 128 is a cracking head for use with a small video camera or a spotting scope, but it's not ideal for use with a long lens. I notice that on the listing the seller claims that it's ideal for use with a 500 f4! The head is not rated to hold that kind of weight and it would be madness to put such a big lens on it.
I must be mad then, because I've used one personally for over 10 years with just such a combination with great success and no problems! I find it particularly good for working from a hide attached to my Uniloc 1600 Major Tripod, I've also used one successfully attached to a Benro C-298n Carbon Fibre Tripod for more mobile use. The fluid effect is particularly good as you can set it to the tension you require and the lens stays where it is until you want to move it, the action in both panning and tilting is very smooth. The Sigma 150-500 is nowhere near the combined weight of the Nikon set up so the 128 head wouldn't even be stressed. I would reccommend the Manfrotto 128RC through many years experience using one and at less than a quarter the price of a gimbal!

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 23-10-09 at 12:49.
Old 23-10-09, 15:47
Super Moderator

Indeed a 128 will hold a Sigma 150-500 with camera (which would weigh in at 2.5-3kg) but with a maximum load weight of 4kg it is not designed to hold big prime lenses. I have seen it done and have seen heads break as a results, it's not a risk I'd take or recommend other to take. I'd definitely recommend the 128 for scope work but personally I do not feel that it works so well with a camera. If I do meet up with the OP so he can try the Jobu gimbal the I'll make sure I take a 128 with me too so he can compare for himself. BTW is that your 128 for sale in the ebay link?
Old 23-10-09, 20:46

well I'm going to go with what postcardcv says,I see quite a few people doing the wildlife photography at my local RSPB,and they all have a gimble fitted.
Old 16-11-09, 21:22

Hi there it may be a little late but I use a Wimberley Sidekick and also an Indian copy of the full Wimberley. ( This is the seller on ebay - dvaccessory23 - retail about £120 plus £30 Duty and VAT). Both work very well with my 500 mm f4 P Nikkor, 1000 mm reflex Nikkor, 50-500 mm Sigma and 80-400 mm Nikkors.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!