WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Fuji finepixS9500

Old 07-07-12, 17:13

Default Fuji finepixS9500

Hi, can anyone help ? I have just bought a finepix S9500, i want to be able to take a high resolution photo of a 900 x 600mm canvas painting. What is the best way to be able to get the prints to the size of the biggest print i want. Biggest size 800mm x 600mm, what settings do i use on the finepix, new to all of this, a novice really, regards,Diamond127.
Old 08-07-12, 15:26

Set image size to large and fine, that way you will get the best resolution for blowing up prints.
Old 08-07-12, 20:21

Default Many thanks

Hi surfg1mp, many thanks for the info, will try it shortly, if this works you have saved me so much time etc, regards,Scott.
Old 08-07-12, 20:46
Super Moderator

I'm assuming that the painting that you are photographing is your own? Personally I would recommend putting the camera on a tripod so that you can shoot without a flash to avoid getting any glare. If possible shoot in natural light (daylight but avoid direct sunlight) as this should help you to get the colours as acurate as possible. If your shutter speeds are getting slow the use the self timer to avoid getting any shake.
Old 09-07-12, 00:43

Hi diamond127.
Would also keep the ISO to 400 or lower. Set up square on to the painting in line with the middle or in other words don't tilt the camera or painting. Hope it goes well, let us know how you get on.
Old 09-07-12, 08:57

And make sure not only that you select large but that you select the highest megapixel count as you want as much detail as possible.
Old 09-07-12, 14:59

By setting the largest size, forgive me if I'm wrong but you are selecting the highest MP setting.

Also make sure you set the white balance to the correct setting, better still shoot in raw, that way you will be able to get the correct white balance as long as you have balanced your lighting. Also by shooting in raw you will have a lot more information to work with while editing, that way you won't have to worry about the quality settings either.
Old 09-07-12, 15:13

Not at all, in fact they are two completely different things. Go into any decent spec camera setting and you will have the option of small, medium and large and then something like 5mp, 10mp and 16.1 or similar depending on the camera. Also some cameras allow you to adjust not only white balance after but full d-lighting and a host of other features.

I agree though that RAW is the best way to shoot but if you are shooting at full MP and at large and on Raw you are vastly reducing the memory available. That said, the person has a bridge camera and it wont have such a complete range of settings compared to the likes of the more expensive Nikons, Canons, Pentax's etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfg1mp View Post
By setting the largest size, forgive me if I'm wrong but you are selecting the highest MP setting.

Also make sure you set the white balance to the correct setting, better still shoot in raw, that way you will be able to get the correct white balance as long as you have balanced your lighting. Also by shooting in raw you will have a lot more information to work with while editing, that way you won't have to worry about the quality settings either.
Old 09-07-12, 15:49

Ah ok pretty sure none of my Nikon's have the option to reduce amount of MP but then never had a need to. Do remember my old Fuji had the option.
Old 09-07-12, 20:22

Thumbs up great replies

Hi all, many thanks for all your replies, hopefully i can get on now, the replies were great and thanks for that, regards,Diamond127.