WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Printer recommendations please?

Old 27-08-07, 10:31

Default Printer recommendations please?

Hi guys, looking to buy new printer as mine is kaput!

Have a Canon Pixma IP4000 which I was never really been happy with and now it won't print with any thing like the colours it should and despite trying everything it just won't play ball. Canon themselves were pretty useless when asked for information/help, and basically did'nt want to know.

I am thinking of an Epson printer about £150.00ish but want to get the best I can afford. I dont want loads of bells and whistles, just a good reliable printer which will give me good A4 prints.

Iam sure you guys can give me lots of recommendations.

Many thanks in advance.

Nogbad
Old 27-08-07, 11:06
Super Moderator

Nogbad, I have had lots of different epsons over the years and found them to only last about 18 mths. The ones I had r300 and the r800 and earlier ones went into cleaning mode everytime I switched on, I didn't get many photos before the ink ran out and not just the one colour, all colours.
I decided to go for the canon ip6700 because I can still change individual cartridges and its at a good price. The photos are superb and haven't had to put in a new cartridge in 6 months, I am just about to buy my first lot and only the ones that have run out, which is black, magenta and cyan the others are still 3/4 full. Bare in mind I don't print many anyway it is used more for text and the occasional photo.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 27-08-07, 11:19

I had an Epson 870 and it was forever blocking, and the cleaning cycles used up huge amounts of expensive ink. In the end about half the ink was wasted. dpreview is a good place for printer information.
Old 27-08-07, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
I had an Epson 870 and it was forever blocking, and the cleaning cycles used up huge amounts of expensive ink. In the end about half the ink was wasted. dpreview is a good place for printer information.
I had an Epson, I think it was the 870 too. My experience of this printer was identical to Leif's. I think you did very well to only wasting 1/2 of the ink on cleaning cycles. This printer put me off the idea of home printing completely.

D.
Old 27-08-07, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
I had an Epson, I think it was the 870 too. My experience of this printer was identical to Leif's. I think you did very well to only wasting 1/2 of the ink on cleaning cycles. This printer put me off the idea of home printing completely.

D.
Exactly my experience!

I have been looking at a colour laser CLP300 from Samsung. PC World pricing at £119. I only print documents maps etc. I'll be waiting for the next Apple OS before I take the plunge and I advise anyone with a PC to check Vista compatibility/availability of drivers before the part with cash.

I never print photographs at home, I leave it to the professionals at PhotoBox.
Old 27-08-07, 14:41

Thanks guys, so it sounds like the Epson printers could be as bad as the Canons?

I have my prints for comps etc printed profesionally, but as my wife makes home made cards from my images thats why we wanted a fairly reliable printer to produce images for these.

Seems I will need to do a bit more searching and try some of the magazine reviews for info.

Thanks to all for your helpful comments.

Cheers

Nogbad
Old 27-08-07, 15:25

Seems that the older Epsons have really tainted your views

Having started using Epsons fairly recently (about 4 years) I have nothing but praise for the quality and rarely had to run clean cycles (only if the printer has been off for several weeks, and then not every time). Yes, they drink ink but not much worse than the HP ahem 'photo' printers I used before.

One thing to note - I believe that Epson photo printers use a little of all colours when printing text, therefore they can be very exensive to run if you want to do general printing as well as photos. I have a very cheap HP Deskjet for that purpose and only print photos on my R1800.

I think that if you want to create high quality prints yourself, whichever manufacturer you chose, you are going to end up using a lot of ink.

Nogbad, I was going to recommend the Epson R260 - it uses the latest print-head tech and Claria ink - but I see it isn't availble in the UK - I guess that the R265 is the equivalent? It will not work standalone (i.e. it doesn't have an LCD and you can't just stick a CF card into it and print) but at half the price of the standalone equivalent, you can either buy another set of inks or a cheap deskjet to do general printing on

Stephen, yes, it is easy to use an online lab and cheaper for the odd print, but you don't get that satisfaction of watching your print coming off the printer...

Updated: www.rusticolus.co.uk
Tumblelog: mjmw.tumblr.com
Old 27-08-07, 16:40

I had trouble with a couple of older Epson's with blocked nozzles but I have had my R800 for almost three years now with no problems - one of the things I do is to leave to printer turned on and do a quick nozzles check print every week or so if I have not used it.
I have now also found a compatible ink which IMO is just about as good as Epson originals but at 1/5 of the price.
Print quality wise I still find the R800 stunning.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 27-08-07, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw_aurora View Post
One thing to note - I believe that Epson photo printers use a little of all colours when printing text.
As I understand it Mark, on my R800 (A4 version of R1800) if you select Grayscale it only uses Matte black ink.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM

Last edited by Roy C; 27-08-07 at 16:56.
Old 27-08-07, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
As I understand it Mark, on my R800 (A4 version of R1800) if you select Grayscale it only uses Matte black ink.
Hmmm, I thought Epson dropped the 'black only' option on this generation of printer (R800/1800) - I can't find anywhere to set it nor can I find a grayscale setting. Where do you set this Roy?

I agree about leaving the printer on - it avoids the charging cycle.

Updated: www.rusticolus.co.uk
Tumblelog: mjmw.tumblr.com