WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Canon 20d

Old 06-11-06, 10:43

Lello don't make the classic mistake of getting hung up on the body. You should give equal or more thought to the type of photography you want to do and the range of lens you might use. Your best lenses will see many camera bodies come and go.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 06-11-06, 13:09

I would not be so concerned that the 20D is discontinued. It is still a very good camera, and parts will be available for some time to come. As far as I know in terms of image quality it is up their with the 30D and D80. The D80 will give a bit more resolution, but has a plastic build rather than metal, and no true mirror lock up.

I would make sure that you handle both cameras, and compare the look and feel. Otherwise I agree with Rob. The body is the entry into the system, and you really need to take into account the entire system. Figure out what sort of lens collection you will build up, and see which manufacturer provides what you want, and what the cost will be. Availability of kit in your country will matter.

BTW I use the Nikon system, and have not used Canon AF.

Leif
Old 06-11-06, 13:24

Bodies are coming out all the time if you wait then it may be the case of waiting again for the next hot body. The result is losing time and enthusiasm for photography, tomorrow never comes. Go with your instinct and be happy with no regrets.

I am currently interested in an obsolete camera - makes no difference whether current or not, in fact I prefer an obsolete body as no-one is interested. I had a D2X within weeks of release and had to fight people off with a $hitty stick who wanted to bother me about it. 18-months later no-one interested. Phew - I can get on with my business and concentrate on my photography.

Is now a good time to mention the forthcoming Nikon D40?
Old 06-11-06, 21:32

Rob, I know the lens is as important if not more important than the Cam, I just feel that as this is going to be my first D SLR I should buy the newest/best technology as I can afford at the time, And have that as a starting point and build up the lenses I might need as I go along.
Leif, You are probably right in saying that that the 20D is a very good cam but at the price I found (£600) was slightly more than i wanted to spend,
But if the 20D had been a newer model I would have bitten the salesman's hand off,(even at that price) I have now discarded the 400D off my shopping list, As much as the good reviews it's had I don't like the feel. So to conclude,
(for example) Would you buy a Pentium 3 PC as they became discontinued or a Pentium 4 with all the latest technology, (assuming you couldn't afford a dual core PC) i.e Nikon D200.
Stephen, I take it that the forthcoming D40 is an entry level Nikon?
Thanks again for all your feedback

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 06-11-06, 21:41

At the moment the D40 is an unconfirmed leak but if the details are true then its a very basic camera below the D50.
Old 06-11-06, 21:44

Then thats off my shopping list as well

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 06-11-06, 23:02

Lello,do you subscribe to the mag,Amateur Photographer.It is a weekly mag.There are lots of dealers who advertise used bargains,all very reputable.You should be able to pick up a good 20D .This cam is very good,the only con factor I have against it is the loud shutter click.One press of the button,and the birds are off!!.It has always received excellent reviews.But if you do see one advertised if there is a choice between sep body with/without the kit lens,I would opt for the body only,and if you can afford it,buy a decent lens,again these lenses are all offered in the used sections.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 06-11-06, 23:09

Thanks Christine, I will have a look at the mag and see whats is about.

Lelsphotos
Old 07-11-06, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
Well its hard but you're the one that should make the final decision and remember as long as you have your money in your pocket, you have the easy buying power. Make the one decision that keeps you happiest and no mater what, waiting and refrain form impulsive decisions works perfectly in your favor.
Hi Lello,

I have missed all this ( busy elsewhere ). Totaly agree with Sassan. As you have no comitment by way of lenses then which ever system you buy into it is down to what appeals. If it is between Canon and Nikon both have good brand glass. Cheaper alternatives available from Sigma or Tamron.

If you are not in a desperate rush then I would suggest the New Years sales as the best time to buy price wise, and have a play in the shops in the mean time.

Slightly contrary to Rob I think the body is important. Although image quality may be marginal between certain brand models you have to enjoy your photography. Consider things like brightness of viewfinder, ease of operation of controls, menu navigation and how they would fit with what you would consider ideal.

I have to admit to still struggling with menus. I still think a la F2 or F3.

No mention of Pentax yet or have you discounted it.

Don
Old 07-11-06, 22:58
Super Moderator

When I was looking to get into the dSLR field, like most it came down to a Nikon/Canon choice. For me what decided it was the lenses that suited my photographic interests...

I went for a 20D + 17-85 IS rather than the standrad lens, and have since acquired a 70-300 IS as well