WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

External Hard Drive

Old 18-04-11, 15:54

Default External Hard Drive

My Seagate 500MB external hard-drive has started making a humming noise.

Should I be concerned?
Old 18-04-11, 18:08

Don't know. I had a Seagate drive which started to click then a couple of days later died completely.
Old 18-04-11, 18:25
Super Moderator

If you've got stuff on there that you haven't got backed up else where ... then nows the time to back it up ... just in case
Old 19-04-11, 00:53

Agree with gidders. At least have one back-up. I like to have three, and one of those drives is in a different location to the others.....ie in a different property. I have had a drive go down before and lost everything, not a nice feeling.
Old 27-04-11, 07:51

I have to get another drive for my back-ups, I worry about losing my stuff. I use a Hitachi 1TB drive, and you can get them so cheap now. I saw the same as mine for £42 the other day...place in manchester called micro direct (look them up on t'interwebs). May be able to get cheaper, though. Worth a look...I will be sorting one in a day or so when I get paid.
Old 06-10-11, 16:34

External hard drives are terrible on the whole. The best medium for saving is discs which seems backwards but its true. External hard drives are poorly made and prone to over heating, knocks and system failures. My advice is to have as many storage areas as possible. I have worked in IT for a long time and i can tell you that these are the bain of our lives. We tell people and they never listen and then come moaning when they lose all data!
Old 01-10-13, 02:09

If it makes noise that means there might be a problem with the hardware. Keep a backup as soon as possible and try to format it and see what happens.
Old 04-09-14, 00:49

It's been 4 years I am using one 750GB from Transcend. Never seen any problem but I always keep a backup just incase. I don't really think you can find a mechanic who fixes portable hard drive. So try to buy a new once and transfer your files ASAP.
Old 11-09-14, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsetman View Post
External hard drives are terrible on the whole. The best medium for saving is discs which seems backwards but its true. External hard drives are poorly made and prone to over heating, knocks and system failures. My advice is to have as many storage areas as possible. I have worked in IT for a long time and i can tell you that these are the bain of our lives. We tell people and they never listen and then come moaning when they lose all data!
I've never had an issue with any of my external drives, but I've had three different Seagate internal drives fail all between 13 months & 24 months from new. I've since learnt to avoid Seagate!

BTW buccaneer - are you sure you didn't meant 500GB drive? I doubt Seagate have made any under 1GB in the last 10 years. 500MB is easy to back up to a small SD card

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...