WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

please comment

Old 08-01-14, 06:54

Default please comment

Hi guys,

First of all a happy new year to all of you.

Its been a while, but finally I got my Canon 600D and since I got it, I take every chance to take pictures. They are not as good as, compared to the photos you are posting here, the WOW effect is kind of missing (if you know what I mean). I think my photos are not sharp enough (its all blurry when I zoom in), but I dont know why. Maby its camera shake, or because I am jusing manual focus its a problem that I am often not sure where exactly to focus. Anyway, it would be awesome if you could tell me what you think about those shots, especially how I can improve the sharpness and the composition and colours.

photo infos:
flowers: ISO 400/ f 4,6/ 1:1250s
mushroom: ISO 200/ f 5,7/ 1:100s
hill: ISO 100/ f 5,7/ 1:800s

all pictures shot in jpg, manual focus/ Av mode.

Looking foreward to your comments,
cheers,
Mathilda.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0273.jpg (530.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0239.jpg (525.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0484.jpg (588.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-01-14, 14:24

Default Please comment

Hi Matty-happy New Year to you.
Firstly I think that with a new camera you should spend some time getting used to it, possibly using program mode for a while-you can still alter speed/aperture in this setting.Why are you using manual focus? Autofocus is really good on modern DSLR cameras and you can select your focus point to be where you want it to be.
Secondly,I think your flowers pic should have been taken at ISO 100/200, slower shutter speed, and smaller aperture (bigger number such as f8 or f11) to give more depth of field.The mushroom also could have done with more depth of field, as should the hill pic-you need lots of depth of field for landscapes like this so really need f16 or so, and you don't need 1/800 sec for landscapes.Tripods are also useful (some might say necessary) for landscape shots as they allow for much slower shutter speed hence smaller aperture and more depth of field.You will learn as you go along-get out and take shots but try to remember what settings you have used.I've been taking photos for 50+ years and I'm still learning. Sometimes we see a photo in a mag or on a site and wonder how it was taken-it might just be that the circumstances will never present themselves to us!
I hope this is helpful.

Dave
Old 09-01-14, 07:39

Default ta

Hi Dave,

thanks a lot for the super fast reply. That are lots of good tips. A tripot for this shot was kind of a bit problematic, cause I went up Mt Owen, which was quite a hike so I didnt want to carry ma tripot . But next time I will probably take it with me, its worth for a good shot. I am using manual focus, because IŽve been watching some photografie lessons on youtube, and the guy in the video said its better to use manual focus. But if the auto focus is good, IŽll just give it a try. Thats easier for the start
A great depth of field for landscape shots is understandable for me, because it just looks better if you can make out lots of deteils. But I choose a small depth of field for the flower and mushroom on purpose, because its a close up shot. WouldnŽt it be disturbing if the viewer can make out lots of deteils in the background?

Cheers,
Matti.
Old 09-01-14, 08:54

Hi Matti, I rather like your flower shot,would have liked it to be turned...I like the clarity and focus...the mushroom shot is a little out of focus looks like more detail on the green moss in front of the mushroom..nice effort, always takes a while to get used to a new camera...I think Dave's advice is very good....and practice practice practice, join in the fortnightly challenge if you want to have a little bit of fun.. and feel free to add your images to the gallery.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 09-01-14, 19:36

Default Please comment

Hi Matti
|I understand that you were trying to use a small depth of field for the flower and mushroom (it's actually a toadstool!) shots but you should consider how much of the subject you want in focus. Your flower pic has a small number of buds in focus which may have been your intention but I think you need more depth of field in the mushroom shot. As Trena says, practice, practice, practice -and then practice some more! As I said in my previous post, keep a note of your settings for each shot-although this is in the exif data which you already know.Then you can compare your images and settings.

Dave
Old 10-01-14, 06:40

Thanks a lot to you two,

now I understand, what you wanted to tell me withthe depth of field. Makes sense . IŽll go out and practise then.

Cheers,
Mathilda.