WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Vivitar vivicam 8400

Old 11-05-08, 12:30

Default Vivitar vivicam 8400

I would like to now your opinion about this camera. Keep in mind that it´s low price equipment. Thank you
Old 11-05-08, 16:33

hunter, it would help us to answer the question if you could give us some idea of how you are going to use the camera, for what kind of subject.
Old 11-05-08, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
hunter, it would help us to answer the question if you could give us some idea of how you are going to use the camera, for what kind of subject.
I´am a beginner in these world. So I just want a camera to start taking some photos. I dont have a big budget so I´am trying to find a chep camera but still with some quality. Thank you
Old 12-05-08, 08:48

Hunter, as a beginner who just want to start taking pictures, the important thing is to do just that - get out there and take pictures. I'm not familiar with the model you are asking about, but it would appear to be a basic point-and-shoot. There's nothing to stop you getting out there and taking pictures with this camera, or any other camera of similar price/specification. It's not the camera that takes the pictures, it's YOU, the camera is just a tool.

Once you've begun to develop your own style, and learned a bit more about what kind of pictures you want to take, then it may be time to get something a bit more capable. The best camera in the world will not make you a better photographer. The important thing is to get out there practice, and learn.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-08, 09:48

Hi Hunter - I agree with Duncan - it will be you - not the camera that matters. As for the Vivitar it seems to me that it has a big draw back - it is very heavy on batteries. In the same price range are the Canon IXUS 70, the Fujifilm FinePix Z10fd; Sony Cybershot DSC-W130 and Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ2EB-K. I suggest you do a google search and compare users reviews - Here is a link to a site that compares these and others that are similar : LINKhttp://www.ciao.co.uk/product_compar...mpare=Compare+

Of them all - the Panasonic has a 10x optical zoom and I would suggest may give you greater versatility - HOWEVER - Don't rush - go to somewhere like Jessops here in UK - that is a shop that stocks many different models and will let you handle them first - try the test shots - see which you like best - which is more comfortable for you. Then choose, buy and enjoy learning. YOU are the photographer - NOT the camera. Hope this helps.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 12-05-08 at 09:50.
Old 12-05-08, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Hunter, as a beginner who just want to start taking pictures, the important thing is to do just that - get out there and take pictures. I'm not familiar with the model you are asking about, but it would appear to be a basic point-and-shoot. There's nothing to stop you getting out there and taking pictures with this camera, or any other camera of similar price/specification. It's not the camera that takes the pictures, it's YOU, the camera is just a tool.

Once you've begun to develop your own style, and learned a bit more about what kind of pictures you want to take, then it may be time to get something a bit more capable. The best camera in the world will not make you a better photographer. The important thing is to get out there practice, and learn.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. What you said is really helpful. I going to search a lit bit more about the cameras. But the important thing is, like you said, to get out and start taking pictures.
Old 12-05-08, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Hi Hunter - I agree with Duncan - it will be you - not the camera that matters. As for the Vivitar it seems to me that it has a big draw back - it is very heavy on batteries. In the same price range are the Canon IXUS 70, the Fujifilm FinePix Z10fd; Sony Cybershot DSC-W130 and Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ2EB-K. I suggest you do a google search and compare users reviews - Here is a link to a site that compares these and others that are similar : LINKhttp://www.ciao.co.uk/product_compar...mpare=Compare+

Of them all - the Panasonic has a 10x optical zoom and I would suggest may give you greater versatility - HOWEVER - Don't rush - go to somewhere like Jessops here in UK - that is a shop that stocks many different models and will let you handle them first - try the test shots - see which you like best - which is more comfortable for you. Then choose, buy and enjoy learning. YOU are the photographer - NOT the camera. Hope this helps.
Thank you.
Old 12-05-08, 18:04

Hi hunter,
I would thoroughly recommend a camera that is easy to use and has a very clear menu, telling you exactly what the camera is doing.
On paper the Vivitar cameras look quite impressive, but in my opinion the menu takes a bit of getting use to, and some models can be a little bit confusing as to what it's actually doing.
Andy has already mentioned some excellent camera choices.
May I add that some of the Kodak branded cameras might be of interest. Whilst they might not be the most advanced, or even have the sharpest lenses, they do have some of the best menu systems in the business.
One thing that stands out with Kodak is that normally you have a full sentence appaering on the LCD rather than just a symbol, for example.
slimline models like the M883 or M853 come in funky colour options. The V1253 (from memory, not sure if model number correct?) is HD compatible....more models in Kodak range also exist that give you a larger, higher magnification zoom if needed.

Also worth a look at are the Pentax branded cameras. Pentax are a massively under rated company....and following the news that Pentax is pulling out of the compact camera market to concentrate on SLR's, their compact cameras will probably be offered at some very good discounted prices. On paper many of the Pentax models might not seem as good as the Vivitar's....but the Pentax's have much sharper lenses. A nice sharp lens helps lots, particularly if you want to have larger prints made of your photos.

hope this helps
Old 12-05-08, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Hi hunter,
I would thoroughly recommend a camera that is easy to use and has a very clear menu, telling you exactly what the camera is doing.
On paper the Vivitar cameras look quite impressive, but in my opinion the menu takes a bit of getting use to, and some models can be a little bit confusing as to what it's actually doing.
Andy has already mentioned some excellent camera choices.
May I add that some of the Kodak branded cameras might be of interest. Whilst they might not be the most advanced, or even have the sharpest lenses, they do have some of the best menu systems in the business.
One thing that stands out with Kodak is that normally you have a full sentence appaering on the LCD rather than just a symbol, for example.
slimline models like the M883 or M853 come in funky colour options. The V1253 (from memory, not sure if model number correct?) is HD compatible....more models in Kodak range also exist that give you a larger, higher magnification zoom if needed.

Also worth a look at are the Pentax branded cameras. Pentax are a massively under rated company....and following the news that Pentax is pulling out of the compact camera market to concentrate on SLR's, their compact cameras will probably be offered at some very good discounted prices. On paper many of the Pentax models might not seem as good as the Vivitar's....but the Pentax's have much sharper lenses. A nice sharp lens helps lots, particularly if you want to have larger prints made of your photos.

hope this helps
Thank you. I will take a look on those models and brands.
Old 12-05-08, 20:14

Don't think you have to have lots of pixels, on a compact 6mp or 8mp is plenty. A zoom is great as it gives more versatility but super zooms can be a bit of a compromise. Many of the shots on my gallery are taken with a compact and the quality of the image is fine (ignoring any artistic merit).