WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Visiting US in September - Want to get good Canon 5D MK II deal!

Old 17-06-12, 07:51

Default Visiting US in September - Want to get good Canon 5D MK II deal!

Hello there, I come from the UK and am going to Orlando in September for my Honeymoon.

Could anyone please suggest the best place for me to purchase the Canon 5D MK II near International Drive? Please bear in mind we will be reliant on buses.

I figured if we were going to America and cameras are cheaper there, why not kill two birds with one stone?

Thank you in advance.
Old 17-06-12, 08:56
Super Moderator

Firstly hi and welcome to WorldPhotographyForum.

I can't help with suggesting where to buy a camera from but would point out that the camera won't be quite as cheap as it first appears. When you return to the UK you will need to pay the import duty and the VAT on it which will often make the total price similar to buying in the UK. You will also have the issue that if you have a problem with it you may have to pay to return it to the USA retailer to deal with any issues.
Old 17-06-12, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
Firstly hi and welcome to WorldPhotographyForum.

I can't help with suggesting where to buy a camera from but would point out that the camera won't be quite as cheap as it first appears. When you return to the UK you will need to pay the import duty and the VAT on it which will often make the total price similar to buying in the UK. You will also have the issue that if you have a problem with it you may have to pay to return it to the USA retailer to deal with any issues.
HMRC states that if 'ordering goods from abroad, or buying and sending to the UK goods from abroad for personal use, you may have to pay Customs Duty, Excise Duty or import VAT.' However, there is no mention of having to pay any duty on items you purchase abroad and hold in your personal luggage. My friend from work bought a camera from the US and paid nothing extra than the retail price from the US.

I am fairly certain I read there was nothing to pay for goods you carry in your luggage.

It may be a problem having to send it back to the US if there are problems, but I would hope there wont be.
Old 17-06-12, 11:35

I bought a camera whilst traveling, purchased in oz, mailed boxes home and carried the camera through customs in hand luggage. who's to say you bought it abroad.
Old 17-06-12, 12:22

Very good point. Still, can anyone suggest the best place for me to go near International Drive to get this kit cheap?
Old 17-06-12, 16:40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunHill.net View Post
HMRC states that if 'ordering goods from abroad, or buying and sending to the UK goods from abroad for personal use, you may have to pay Customs Duty, Excise Duty or import VAT.' However, there is no mention of having to pay any duty on items you purchase abroad and hold in your personal luggage. My friend from work bought a camera from the US and paid nothing extra than the retail price from the US.

I am fairly certain I read there was nothing to pay for goods you carry in your luggage.

It may be a problem having to send it back to the US if there are problems, but I would hope there wont be.
You are legally obliged to declare the items in your luggage and pay the duty and VAT on them. Not declaring items in your luggage is illegal and if discovered you can be fined and have the goods seized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfg1mp View Post
I bought a camera whilst traveling, purchased in oz, mailed boxes home and carried the camera through customs in hand luggage. who's to say you bought it abroad.
While no one can prove it doing what you did is illegal as you should have declared it. Not the best thing to admit to doing on a public orum as you have basically stated that you sent the boxes separately to avoid paying duty...
Old 17-06-12, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
You are legally obliged to declare the items in your luggage and pay the duty and VAT on them. Not declaring items in your luggage is illegal and if discovered you can be fined and have the goods seized.
Can you please cite the source to back up your statement? My citation came straight from HMRC and does not suggest the need to pay duty in such events.

I cannot find anything which backs up your theory.
Old 17-06-12, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfg1mp View Post
Hypothetically speaking.
Old 17-06-12, 18:04
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunHill.net View Post
Can you please cite the source to back up your statement? My citation came straight from HMRC and does not suggest the need to pay duty in such events.

I cannot find anything which backs up your theory.
Try this link for starters - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm and ther is plenty more about it on the HMRC website. The page refers to bringing items into the UK either yourself or via postal services. If you're still in doubt then give them a call and get it confirmed, I would hate your holiday to be ruined by having your new camera seized at customs.
Old 19-06-12, 07:27

In that case, I need to know the best deal in the UK. Any suggestions?