WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Sticker shock: Nikkor go ballistic

Old 11-04-08, 21:24

Mike, shame on you. You should know that Nikon now eats Canons.

Alan
Old 12-04-08, 11:22

Alan, with the D300 and D3, I think that Nikon have swallowed Canon and spat them out. Although I've got a couple of Canon, I have no brand loyalty and have followed the tustle between the two with interest - always thought that it could make a good story-line for a TV film.
I've resisted upgrading from 20D as I'm looking forward to the 50D:- 14mp, 7fps, swivel LCD (to save my knees when getting low), bigger pentaprism, increased dynamic range, ISO 60 to 6400 that can be pushed to 12800, and the big breakthrough - CCD image stabilisation; and all for £800. On the other hand, I've probably got more chance of winning the lottery!!

p.s. Pentax still eat babies.
Old 12-04-08, 14:23

Quote:
Although I've got a couple of Canon, I have no brand loyalty and have followed the tustle between the two with interest - always thought that it could make a good story-line for a TV film.
Good point Mike.
there's loads of the same sort of brand loyalty with cars too....maybe some people are perhaps over passionate about them too
cheers
joe
Old 12-04-08, 17:16

My brand loyalty to Canon is that I have Canon gear which I could not afford to swap and until Nikon brought out the D3 and D300 Canon were arguably the best. Mind you the D300 is almost twice the price of the 40D so it should be better! No doubt Canon will fight back and then Nikon will have indigestion and so it will go on backwards and forewords. Good for consumers in the long run.
Old 19-04-08, 18:38

Interesting - here you can get a Nikon - Canon EOS adapter so you can stick Nikkor lenses on Cannon bodies http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product...roducts_id=715
The Pro versions are the ones you want. But out of all the adapters - They do NOT make one to stick Canon glass onto Nikons - does that say something about quality?

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 19-04-08, 20:23

Andy,

It is nothing to do with lens quality. Its about lens flange to sensor plane. Roughly Nikon is 46.5mm and Canon 44mm.
I am also fairly certain the Canon mount is a larger diameter than Nikons so easy to make an adaptor as in your link, but not so the other way round.
Ignoring the electronic connections, if you were to make an adaptor for Canon lens to Nikon body then you could not obtain focus to infinity with that mount.

Worth mentioning, the mount in the link does not appear to have electronic contacts so Nikon 'G' type lenses will not function with it.

Don
Old 19-04-08, 21:42

They do NOT make one to stick Canon glass onto Nikons - does that say something about quality?
Old 21-04-08, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Interesting - here you can get a Nikon - Canon EOS adapter so you can stick Nikkor lenses on Cannon bodies http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product...roducts_id=715
The Pro versions are the ones you want. But out of all the adapters - They do NOT make one to stick Canon glass onto Nikons - does that say something about quality?
Andy, the only Canon lens I would like to try is the 100-400 L as Nikon don't seem to have anything of comparable quality (I'm hearing not good things about the 80-400) at that price point.

I'm still undecided whether to get the 300 f4 & TC 1.4 or the Sigma 100-300zoom & TC. Tough decision...

My New Website
Old 21-04-08, 20:54

The Canon 100-400L has somewhat mixed reviews too, if you get a good one it is very good but some are apparently very mediocre. It is also a ten year old design which must be due a replacement soon (please). Sigma have announced a 120-400 zoom with 4 stop optical stabilisation and HSM focusing which you can preorder from Warehouseexpress for £600. Weighs 1750 grams though as well as being an unknown quantity at present. As always choices, choices.....
Old 23-06-08, 14:28

I also have noticed that Canon lenses are on the rise, look at the price tag of the new 800mm f/5.6, I would sooner go for the 600 f/4 with a 1.4 TC. I too have a 500mm f/4 and would not trade it for all the rum in the Caribbean; when I was in the market for the 500, I was a Nikon man, I looked at the Nikon 500 f/4 and found it to be more expensive than the Canon 500; the Nikon 500 did not have IS/VR, so I got the Canon 500 with a 30D body. I now am a full Canon man with no regrets so far.