WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

New 400mm f5.6 lens

Old 12-04-06, 21:34

Gosh,John,this really does make one sit up and think twice!!!.I mainly keep a filter on the lens,a-as I have prev mentioned,sand and grit,b-it is easier cleaning a filter,no great damage done if scratched,cheaper to replace a filter,than the lens.I'll have to have a practice and compare the results.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 13-04-06, 13:45

Goodness that took some resolving! One thing about filters is that if the quality is not as good as the glass on your lens then your money is wasted. For bird photography I never use a filter and use the lens hood as protection.
As for focusing I am surprised no one has mentioned AI servo. This it the tracking focus and is present in all modes on the 350d. I use the 350d and the 400mm f/5.6L and there is nothing wrong with its sharpness. It is the sharpest lens on the market.
As for isos with this lens I have rarely had to use any iso higher than 200 as it is fast and lets in alot of light. As others have already said practise is most important as are your camera settings as the correct aperture will also affect your focusing. This lens is very good wide open providing the compensation is right. I think alot of people struggle because they are overexposing. It is surprising what an extra stop under exposed can do to focus.
A shutter speed of 1/500 is plenty fast enough for still/perching birds and 1/800plus for birds in flight. Increasing the iso will only lead to degradation of picture quality and should be avoided. Practise is the real key. I have taken the photo below just now of a siskin on a feeder. it was taken through glass with the feeder swining in the wind. Taken at iso 200 f10 (to narrow field of focus) shutterspeed 1/800 and although there is some loss of quality due to filthy windows it is perfectly sharp. This was handheld and is perfectly attainable by anyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg siskinwf.jpg (156.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 13-04-06, 13:58

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

That's disgusting. I just bought filters for both of my lenses. I had always used filters on my 35 mm lenses. Now i think that I'd better run some tests of my own. This may explain the softness in the junco picture that I was talking about the other day.
Great discussion though. Well done, guys.
Old 13-04-06, 17:16

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

OK, I ran some tests. I won't post the pictures but here are results.
The first thing that I learned is that automatic focus/auto exposure gives me a disappointing result regardless of filter or no filter. When I switched to full manual exposure and focus I found a slight improvement when shooting without the filter. Camera Canon 20D. Lens no. 1 is a Caono EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 (came with the camera). Lens no. 2 is Canon EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 lll USM. Both filters are Hoya HMC UV(O) (these were the most expensive ones in the shop)(also the only ones that would fit my lenses).
If anyone wants to point out that there are better lenses out there, I believe you but these are the ones I could almost afford. Upgrades may take place some day if I live that long.
Old 13-04-06, 17:34

Snowyowl auto settings will nearly always give disappointing results no matter what you are photographing as it just isnt accurate enough and often tends to over or under expose. Less that six months ago I used exactly the same outfit that you are using now without a filter and got excellent results. The 18-55mm is great for close up work though i never rated the focus for landscapes. I think it really needs a tripod for best results. The 300mm usm maynot be as fast as the more expensive lenses but should still give excellent sharpness in the right conditions. In my view successful photography isnt about using expensive equiptment (although obviously these can make it easier) but it is all about the way it is used. Anyone can get the very best from lenses if used properly.
Old 21-04-06, 13:29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette
In my view successful photography isnt about using expensive equiptment (although obviously these can make it easier) but it is all about the way it is used. Anyone can get the very best from lenses if used properly.
Annette you are so right. I came across a website a little while ago that I think help put it into perspective for all of us who want that longer/faster/fancy optic lenses, which was written with medium format film cameras in mind but the principles hold good I think. http://medfmt.8k.com/bronlensenvy.html (but it still doesn't stop the hankerings does it )
Old 21-04-06, 14:40

LOL Clive indeed not. My philosophy has always been to learn what the lens can do to its full potential. I think too many people do not know or learn what their lenses can really do. If money were no object i would not hesitate to buy the 600mm f4 for my bird photography but even with those there are tradeoffs and so I content myself with what i have already.
Old 29-05-06, 12:16

I can see you are using a UV filter by the lines in the background, try it without it you should see a difference. Also try center wieghted & single point focus.
Old 29-05-06, 13:26

Roy,send us a copy of you bank card,both sides so we can compare !For you and all canon owners ,this is a canon eos site and run by canon EOS there is much help ,it is a forum site only and i have got plenty of help from it,
www.eos-forums.com
it is a free site and you will get a lot of help there are experts on it !
cheers.Tony.
Old 29-05-06, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie
I can see you are using a UV filter by the lines in the background, try it without it you should see a difference. Also try center wieghted & single point focus.
Ho Cashie, For info this problem was sorted a long time ago, turned out to be a duff filter.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM