WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Lens Hoods (and now filters)- How important are they?

Old 13-04-06, 09:39
Admin

Default Lens Hoods (and now filters)- How important are they?

I read elsewhere that someone had been using a Canon 400mm DO f4 lens without a hood for some time. I have to say I was a bit shocked.
What do you think about the value of hoods?

I think with small prime lenses you can often do without one, but something with a lot of glass (big zooms, fast primes) surely need some form of cover protecting stray light bouncing around.

Besides, they provide great protection for the glassware.
Old 13-04-06, 09:48

Small primes are simple in design and utilise few lens elements. Physically longer lenses contain more elements that are are more prone to flare, requiring a hood to shade from stray light. Personally I use a lens hood to shelter the front element from dust and other contaminants. A lens hood will also protect a lens from physical damage stopping a user from bumping it into things!
Old 13-04-06, 12:22

I have to agree that the best function of a lens hood is to protect the glass against the elements,dust and damage. I used a sigma 170-500mm lens without a hood for over 2 months and never noticed any difference where stray light was concerned.
Old 13-04-06, 14:01

Personally I would not consider using a lens without a lens hood. Probably the only time you could safely do that is when there is NO possibility of stray light striking the front element.

Don
Old 13-04-06, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Personally I would not consider using a lens without a lens hood. Probably the only time you could safely do that is when there is NO possibility of stray light striking the front element.

Don
I once read, the only time not use a lens hood is when using flash. Like a lemming I simply followed this without challenge or reason. I dare say the only time to definitely use a hood is with flash.
Old 13-04-06, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
I once read, the only time not use a lens hood is when using flash. Like a lemming I simply followed this without challenge or reason. I dare say the only time to definitely use a hood is with flash.
Light is light whatever its source. Stray light entering a lens degrades the image. Ultra Wides and zooms are worse due to the number of elements. My 80-200 f2.8 has a modest 16 elements in 11 groups ..... plenty for the stray light to bounce off in all directions. I cannot remember how many reviews I have read in the past where uncontrolled flare leading to poor image quality was put down to a poorly designed lens hood.

The best hood I had was for my Bronica. It was a bellows type and could be racked in or out to suit whatever lens with great precision.

Don
Old 14-04-06, 01:43

Never shoot without one except in extreme close-up.

nirofo.
Old 14-04-06, 22:47

Since it has been suggested that we all remove our filters,then using the lens hood is a must!!!

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 14-04-06, 22:59

Why would we all want to remove our filters, I always have one of some description fitted on the lens, even if it's just a UV to protect the front element. The only time I don't use a front element filter is when using my Nikkor 500mm f4 (125mm front element), it has a built in protective glass front element. Also when using a macro lens with a deeply recessed front element, as in Tamron 90mm macro.

nirofo.
Old 14-04-06, 23:08

I wouldn't dream of not using some type of filter for the front of my lens. Between smoke, dust and unintentional scratches, it is much cheaper replacing a filter than it is a lens.