WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Why do Forum Counters Reset to Soon

Old 05-06-06, 18:54
Super Moderator

Unhappy Why do Forum Counters Reset to Soon

I've just been away for the weekend and when I logged on there was something like (cant remember the exact numbers)

80 posts in 23 threads
120 new comments & 41 new photos

I called up the new threads and having worked my way through those that interested me (and taken a couple of phone calls) when I went back to the home page is said

0 posts in 0 threads
0 new comments & 1 new photos

Now I know this is controlled by cookies but I haven't closed my browser in the interim so whats going on Its happened on me before and its most frustrating
Old 05-06-06, 22:05
Administrator

The website doesn't know you've still got your browser window open. As far as it's concerned, it's given you the page and it doesn't know any more than that. Hence the need for cookies! The only reason that a website 'knows' to log you out when you've closed your browser window is because when you revisit it, you have a different 'session id'.

Therefore, in order to keep the 'Who's Online' list 'up to date' and prevent huge complicated database problems, the website presumes that after x amount of inactivity (can't remember how much exacrly on this site) that you are no longer there and so closes the session.

Basically, the website doesn't know whether your browser has closed or not. The only way to keep the website knowing that you are still there is to put it on a page such as who's online, which refreshes every minute or so and so keeps the connection to the server.

Hope that's fairly clear - can't answer your question without getting a bit technical I'm afraid!

Ollie