WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

How do I sort this

Old 05-06-07, 22:23

Question How do I sort this

This error appeared after posting a comment in the gallery.

I have just shut down and restarted but it appears as soon as I go to WPF. I cannot click yes - nothing happens so I have to click NO then I can sign on. But I now cannot put smilies or bold.

Cameras I can handle but computers ..............

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Error.jpg (46.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-06-07, 22:29

Try to clear your cookies in Internet explorer.

In IE 7 click Tools -> Internet options then in general remove cookies.

Let us know if it works...
Old 05-06-07, 22:48

Did that and did a restart but it failed. I now get it on NG too ????????

Don
Old 05-06-07, 22:59

It looks like a adware/spyware. Trys to take you to an advertizment page when probably your antivirus program stop its opening.
If you have any spyware program run it otherwise you may want to down load a free one either form Microsoft's site itself (Windows Defender) or other sites. My recommendations appart from above, is Spyboot and Adaware that both have free very effective versions.
Alternatively you may want to restore your window into an earlier time when malware was not active into your registration file.
Best of luck.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 06-06-07, 03:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Hi Sassan,

Thanks for that. I just ran Norton Spyware scan. Result in attatched pic. That cookie is now gone but there is still something there as I get the prompt on each page of WPF but I can at least click YES

I will run a full syytem scan as that has detected other spyware before.

Thank you for that.

Don
You are welcome.
Good to know at least partly problem solved.
Norton is OK but not the best.
If problem still persist after full system scan do a system Restore. Here is a quick go thro if you need;
Start>
. -Accessories>
. -System tools>
. -System Restore
Please look at the picture #1 below, and chose an older date from calendar when you knew you PC was working fine. Seat back and let computer go back and restore a period of time that it was functioning well.

Now after rebooting you need to do the real preventive stuff. So don't relay alone on your NAV.

1- Download and install Window Defender. Here is the Link:

- LINK TO WINDOWS DEFENDER

2- Download and install Spybot - Search and destroy

- LINK - 2

3- Download and install Ad aware. Choose option 4, free download.

- LINK - 3

Now with all three running once in a while (Each does slightly independent job than other) you should be in good hand.

BTW if some members think Mac users are immune from these, tell them to think again. I have a magazine that can be send for reference of anyone interested to see stories are the same, vulnerabilities are the same only numbers of problem makers are proportional to computer users. Also if next time send your old mac as donation to (No insult to anyone but just referred from true statistics) China or Russia, you will actually see how competent are the problem makers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1s.jpg (115.5 KB, 11 views)

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 06-06-07 at 03:58.
Old 06-06-07, 10:55

Or else just use a modern web browser. Seriously, there is no excuse for still running Internet Explorer in this day and age.
Old 06-06-07, 12:13

Thumbs up

You are a STAR Sassan, many thanks.

All is now running well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
Or else just use a modern web browser. Seriously, there is no excuse for still running Internet Explorer in this day and age.
I am on BT Broadband and use BT's browser as that gives me multi tabbed browsing. For my limited internet wanderings it does what I want and I have hidden most of its features as they are of no interest. I'm for the simple life.

Don
Old 06-06-07, 14:38

Even so Don, once you taste the glory that is Firefox, you won't want anything to do with IE
Old 06-06-07, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
Even so Don, once you taste the glory that is Firefox, you won't want anything to do with IE
I run IE7 and Firefox and prefer IE7 of the two. IE7 load initial pages slightly faster and I really like the multiple tabs in IE7. Even the most die hard firefox experts are conceding that IE7 is just as good.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM

Last edited by Roy C; 06-06-07 at 16:08.
Old 06-06-07, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
I am on BT Broadband and use BT's browser as that gives me multi tabbed browsing. For my limited internet wanderings it does what I want and I have hidden most of its features as they are of no interest. I'm for the simple life.
Don. just think for a moment, OK? You really think getting infected by spyware so that Sassan had to rescue you is the simple life? You got infected (and you will get infected again for 100% certain) because you are using a stone-age browser with dreadful security. It is not "easier" or "simpler" to use this horribly insecure technology, it is much, much more difficult in the long run. Internet Explorer is the single most important spyware infection vector (and is also a virus risk, of course). Spyware is the single most likely cause of you (or any person) needing to seek professional help to fix your computer.

Getting a spyware and continuing to use Internet Explorer afterwards anyway is exactly like having surgery for lung cancer and going on smoking. If you don't address the cause of your problems - and make no mistake, IE is a very major cause of spyware infection - then they will just return to haunt you, over and over again.

If I sound a little holier-than-though or a little like a hellfire and brimstone preacher on this topic, forgive me. But I've learned a lot about photography from you here, Don, and I can't just stay quiet when I see you self-inflicting injury in the field where my professional expertise lies.

Quitting the IE habit is not painful. It is, in fact, liberating - the modern browsers are a long way in front not just in security but also in ease-of-use features. That tabbed browsing you mentioned is an example: Internet Explorer got it at Christmas time. Opera had it 7 years ago - yes, 7 years ago - and the Mozilla/Firefox products had it more than 5 years ago. That's a pretty fair indication of how far in front of IE they are.

Switching is dead easy: go to http://opera.com or, if you prefer, to http://mozilla.org and follow the prompts.