WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Firefox for windows! (Why photographers should be using it)

Old 05-06-08, 15:51
Admin

In response to a pm received. Over the last 31 days,
WPF visitors browsers were
54% Internet Explorer
34% Firefox
9% Safari
2% Opera

On Birdforum
68% Internet Explorer
25% Firefox
5% Safari
1% Opera

Make of it what you will

cheers,
Andy
Old 05-06-08, 17:24
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
As Chris says, if you apply colour management to your browser, it allows you to see the range of colours contained within any profiles embedded in the image. This is ONLY true if the monitor you are using is capable of displaying the range of colours presented. This is where Clive is coming from, as most monitors can only display a small sub-set of the colours capable of being captured, the sRGB standard was developed to squeeze the full range down to a range that could be viewed consistently on most monitors.

Given these limitations, I see no reason not to enable colour management within Firefox as you aren't losing anything if the colour space of the image being viewed is set to sRGB anyway. As Clive says, this is the standard for web images and the space that should be used if preparing images for web use.
You seem to have led us in a bit of a circle haven't you Duncan? Anyway I have returned to the PC and looked at my Poppy with no colour profile, sRGB and original Adobe/Nikon RGB on Firefox 2, Safari & PSE2 in parallel and for good measure brought my mac alongside both the PC and the actual poppy.

I then upgraded the Firefox to 3 'candidate' or beta and got the addon for the PC.

The Poppy is pretty happy with the computer version which in descending order of quality goes: PSE & FF3 Adobe/Nikon RGB equal (and with mac Safari or PSE), then Safari on the PC, then sRGB a bit down in colour accuracy everywhere, then with no colour profile, which is pretty rough.

Now the PC is pretty average, Dell Dimension 2400 + XP home, I think about 4 years old which my son-in-law passed on for my wife to learn on when the monitor went. I added a 'generic' DGM 17" monitor costing £99 (glad I didn't spend more as she has not touched it in 3 months). So I wonder how bad a monitor has to get not to be able to make use of Adobe RGB.

Meanwhile not just the Poppy, but the whole of WPF looks order-of -magnitude better. So I have to agree that for really poor browsers on seriously poor monitors sRGB makes sense. But I remain recalcitrant as to using it. This despite Andy's statistics, which are disappointing, though less despairing than the lot Clive produced.

As far as I am concerned the message to be projected among photographers is do, do use Firefox 3 with addon - and if after seeing THAT, there is no difference from what you saw before, maybe its time to change the monitor. We mostly carry £1000 of photographic kit about, so what is the problem with processing it on a passable computer. If empoyees of seriously mean employers don't see the pics as nicely (if they can disarm the bars to using internet at all), well, its one more reason for feeling sorry for them.
Old 12-06-08, 05:39

Default Warning: Firefox 3 for PCs

For over two decades most software companies have cautioned that beta versions are for developers. Mozilla issues the same warning. However, three days ago I decided to install Firefox 3 so that I see how add-on 6891 works. While this add-on performs nicely with images in AdobeRGB, my life has been miserable since:

1) Firefox 3 has been very unstable on my computer.
2) All my add-ons from Firefox 2 were grayed out.
3) Within a day I received warnings that none of my versions to protect my computer against spyware, etc. work in Firefox 3. I have now reinstalled Firefox 2.

All this may be unique to me, but the old advice, beta releases are for developers still holds.

Dave
Old 22-06-08, 10:42

Firefox 3 is now out in an official, released non-beta form. Download from
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Duncan
Old 24-06-08, 19:13

Firefox 3 has been out for 1 week and 18 Million people downloaded it!
Old 08-08-08, 12:08
Chris

In Firefox 3 the original add on has now been upgraded and is called 'Color management 0.4'. From Firefox main menu>tools>add-ons>get add-ons takes you to the download site, then search. It now also needs 'preferences' set (via a browse) for desired colour profile and 'enable' button.
Old 22-12-08, 11:45

Default Firefox Configuration

Thanks for info. The "about:config" method has worked well, enhanced our browsing of photographs no end. Thanks.

Regards Phil.
Old 24-06-09, 15:16

i couldnt agree more, firefox is the best browser, as it has the most extensions to customize it. IE is the worst!