WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

DIY Ringflash

Old 29-12-06, 23:08

Default DIY Ringflash

Today was a workshop day making various brackets for use with flash. Boring machining jobs gives time for the mind to wander.

Two things came to mind during this. Christine ( Saphires ) DIY flash diffuser - see her wedding thread, and Harry's ( Wolfie's ) wonderful macro images taken using flash. The problem for me is Harry uses lots more flash units than I have. The two things came together with the thought of a DIY equivalent of a ringflash. Therefore only one flash, well I could handle that one.

I have a salad bowl sized reflector for the Multiblitz ( see post 12 ) and this got me thinking. Casting around the workshop I found a 7 inch diameter plastic bowl that I use for acid bath. I cut a hole in the back sufficient size to allow 2 lens hoods to screw together, one each side. A few experiments later I cut a square hole in the side to hold the Stofen diffuser from the SB80-DX flash. I taped a second lens hood ( bit of plastic drain pipe would do ) to the inside hood. Wrapped the whole lot in kitchen foil, and hey presto a ringflash for less than £5.

The whole thing needs refining ( make a proper job of it ) but I have attatched the first pic taken using it and a couple of views. The Fuchsia is full frame so not far off the bowl. I might get a 12 inch bowl for an even bigger light.

The flash is G/No 38 and was on 1/16th power. ISO100 aperture f16.

I'm impressed, so thanks Christine and Harry for the inspiration.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY Ringflash 1.jpg (139.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Ringflash 2.jpg (141.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Ringflash 3.jpg (108.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 29-12-06, 23:15

Very clever Don, Did you used to watch Blue Peter?

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 29-12-06, 23:17

Nice one Don just goes to show you don't need flash gear ( excuse the pun ) to get decent results.

I like the way it gives a nice modelling light. Some ring units only give a flat light.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 29-12-06 at 23:20.
Old 29-12-06, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
Very clever Don, Did you used to watch Blue Peter?
Sorry Lello, I didn't, but in the UK most people know what that means. ( What can you make from a Cornflakes box ).
I did wonder at the time of making if this was worth a badge.

Don
Old 29-12-06, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Nice one Don just goes to show you don't need flash gear ( excuse the pun ) to get decent results.

I like the way it gives a nice modelling light. Some ring units only give a flat light.
Could never afford a ringlight Rob. So I have no experience. I just enjoy doing stuff for little or no cost and thought this may be useful to others of similar mind.

Don
Old 29-12-06, 23:34

Looks like I will be raiding Tina's kitchen cupboards whilst she's out shopping tomorrow, (don't worry I wont blame you Don)

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 29-12-06, 23:43

Quote:
Looks like I will be raiding Tina's kitchen cupboards whilst she's out shopping tomorrow, (don't worry I wont blame you Don)

Lello,

If you do, then a tank cutter if you have one, is easiest for the centre hole. Mark the square hole for the flash and chain drill, it then sharp knife and cut between the holes.

I will do a full instructions post later when I get the 12 inch bowl as I can take pics as I go.

Don
Old 29-12-06, 23:47

Don,
Could you not try and attach some sort of material between the centre lens holder and the edge of the bowl to try and diffuse light more?

Lelsphotos
Old 30-12-06, 00:06

Quote:
Don,
Could you not try and attach some sort of material between the centre lens holder and the edge of the bowl to try and diffuse light more?
Lello,

Its all still a bit experimental. I will go with 12 inch bowl before slicing up one of my free diffusers. Perhaps an additional diffuser would give too flat a light as Rob mentioned. My thought was that the crinkley tin foil would send light in all directions rather than a straight beam.

Don
Old 30-12-06, 00:14
Super Moderator

I can't wait to have a go at making one of these when you finish putting instructions.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.