WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Anti-Virus Software

Old 21-06-08, 17:48
Super Moderator

Mike its Trend pc-cillian 2007 I was using. In fact Iv'e noticed my machine has really speeded up since I removed it.

I know the router is working because I can get on the net with my Nintendo DS it found an open link.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 21-06-08, 18:17

Quick start guide:
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_mo...ig_english.pdf

Full manual, including instruction on how to set up the wireless:
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_mo...24t_manual.pdf
This will give you the information you need. Log into the router to begin with from a WIRED connection.

Setup the wireless using WPA with a Pre-Shared Key using a 63 random character key. This page:
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
will generate a suitable high security key for you, just make sure you copy and paste the string to a notepad file and save it somewhere!

Make sure the firewall and NAT are enabled.

Duncan.
Old 21-06-08, 18:21
Super Moderator

Thank Duncan, I couldn't find those pages.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 21-06-08, 18:22

Do set up the security for your router as advised or all sorts of nasty things can be done to you. As well as the encryption change the default passwords as well or someone can go back in and change any setting themselves.
Old 21-06-08, 18:27
Super Moderator

Will I have to remember the 64 characters if I need to change things,

Old 21-06-08, 18:31

According to the manual, you have a max length of 63 alphanumeric characters. I used copy and paste with the string saved on a USB stick, as you'll need to enter this string on any machine which requires access to your wireless network - i.e. you have to be able to move the key between machines, not using the network.
Old 21-06-08, 18:41
Super Moderator

As far as I can see its only WEP which allows me to input 64 characters, WPA has some other setting I am not sure what they do.
If I did put a key in I would have to save it to my hard disk I don't have a usb stick. I think thats why I didn't bother last time it looked so technical.
I don't want to lock myself off the net if I lose the key or my hard disk goes down.

Old 21-06-08, 18:59

WEP is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, just ask Stephen it took his neighbours just a few minutes to hack his WEP security. You must use WPA. See page 37 of the manual. Enter your random 63 character alphanumeric string in the box labelled "PSK String" after selecting the appropriate radio button.

Save the string to your hard disk if you must, but you're going to have to enter that long string, without errors, on any machine you want to access the wireless network. If you're not using wireless, then disable wireless access and don't bother entering a string.

Oh, and get yourself a USB drive, they are dirt cheap and extremely useful.
Old 21-06-08, 20:25
Super Moderator

Duncan, I have just managed to get back on, evrything hung when I put in the string and pressed apply. I couldn't get back on the net unless I reset everything. I am running it without the string again and it working fine, I think I will leave things as they are and not connect Mario's computer so I don't need the wireless connection.

What I don't understand how come my Nintendo connects.

Old 22-06-08, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Duncan, I have just managed to get back on, evrything hung when I put in the string and pressed apply. I couldn't get back on the net unless I reset everything. I am running it without the string again and it working fine, I think I will leave things as they are and not connect Mario's computer so I don't need the wireless connection.

What I don't understand how come my Nintendo connects.
Christine, you may have been a bit to quick for it. It does take quite a while for the router to save the changed settings after clicking on "apply" as it has to write the changes to flash memory inside. If you leave it long enough, it will come back. If it hasn't restarded after about a minute, typing in the I.P. address (192.168.whatever.whatever) will take you back to the router start page. You should have been able to connect to the net via the wired connection - you are doing all this setup from a wired connection PC, aren't you?

If you don't set it up with a security string, you must disable the wireless function of your router otherwise anyone can log onto your network and use your connection, browse your PC etc.

Does the Nintendo connect wirelessly both with and without a security string set?

Duncan