WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Another budget lens

Old 27-06-08, 15:47

Wink Another budget lens

After reading Tannin's thoughts on his budget 18-55mm I thought I would post a similar story, but from a Nikon owners perspective.

While waiting for Nikon pro spec lenses to actually become available, I needed something to cover semi wide angles in my cycling event photography, as I was severely restricting myself with just the 70-200mm.

I needed something reasonably wide and a bonus would be if it could also cover that 'mid range' 70-80mm which I find I use the most when covering certain events. So after reading up and having a chuckle at Ken Rockwell, it seemed the Nikkor 24-85 AF-S ED was the one to find. Thankfully there was one going on Ebay and as I was prepared to pay well over the asking price if necessary (I needed it that weekend) I knew I would win it (I actually put in a bid over a hundred pounds more than needed to do this - because of course ebay automatically only bids what is needed) and duly got the lens in time. Oh I paid just £137 for it - bargain!!

What I wasn't prepared for was just how good this cheap little lens was/is. Against my 70-200 f2.8 (of which the sharpness is lengendary) I could see no difference in the quality of the images at all focus lengths and the focus itself, while not quite as fast as my pro lens, was certainly good enough. In fact I liked it so much that I stuck it on my D3 for the next event in preference to the 70-200mm (because it offered me more flexibility) and it stayed there for the whole day.

So until I get my 24-70mm this will do me nicely, then someone is going to get a cracking little lens for a bargain price!!!

My New Website
Old 27-06-08, 18:42

Nice one Derek - bear me in mind when the time comes.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 27-06-08, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
........ bear me in mind when the time comes.
Not going for the AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikkor then Andy. Kind of suit your wider view of the world.

Don
Old 16-07-08, 20:29

Nice buy Derek.
Quote:
What I wasn't prepared for was just how good this cheap little lens was/is. Against my 70-200 f2.8 (of which the sharpness is lengendary) I could see no difference in the quality of the images at all focus lengths and the focus itself,
There's been quite a few very good budget lenses around.
More than a couple of instances where the budget version of a lens equals, or actually out performs the 'pro' version.
One example was the old OM mount Zuiko 50mm f/1.4. nice and bright, but softer than the budget 50mm f/1.8....and got a bit of a reputation for 'black bits' between the optics!

I'm sure there's more than a few other examples of more modern lenses too.
Old 16-07-08, 21:29

Not gone for the 14-24 AF-S f2.8 but have also picked up a bargain off eBay - found a site in Guernsey that seems to sell "faulty" customer returns - all sort of makes. They had 3 Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 AF-S D(IF). Advertised as customer returns took a punt on one at £200 thinking that this is a £1000 lens and it might be worth a trip into Nikon Service and got it! Put it on my D3 and the only "fault" I can find is that the Silent Wave Motor whistles slightly - apart from that - perfect!!!

Old 16-07-08, 23:23

Wow!...those lenses are immense. Cheapest one I saw was nearer the £500 mark. You definately got a good bargain there. I guess lucky with the fault too....maybe the other two are worse
Old 17-07-08, 08:55
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
have also picked up a bargain off eBay - Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 AF-S D(IF). Put it on my D3 and the only "fault" I can find is that the Silent Wave Motor whistles slightly - apart from that - perfect!!!
The distortion control (adjust>correct>dc) in NX works very well Andy , tho maybe you like things leaning in and curvy! (NB staying with NX1.3.3 which seems to outperform NX2 in every way except new heal brush)
Old 17-07-08, 09:57

Quote:
I guess lucky with the fault too...
As I said Joe I thought it might be worth the punt - It came boxed with all original bits and paperwork.,

Quote:
The distortion control (adjust>correct>dc) in NX works very well Andy
I do like the effect but interesting you are staying with NX 1.3.3 I'm finding NX2 very good.