WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Flashgun advice

Old 06-11-09, 22:05

Default Flashgun advice

Hi all I am looking at getting ether a metz 58 Af-1 Or a sigma ef-530 dg super flash gun and was just looking for some advice about what one is better.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
Old 07-11-09, 10:59

I have the Metz 58, and I used to have the Sigma 500 DG ST (not the super). The difference in build quality between the two brands was night and day. Having seen the specifications of the Sigma 530 super, I dare say that technically there's not a lot to choose between them. But having owned both brands, I will go with Metz every time now, it is much, much better build quality.

The Metx also has a USB port on it so you can update the firmware as needed without needing to send it back to Metz if any bugs are found or new camera models come out that require an update. When I bought a Pentax K10D, I had to send the Sigma off to get it re-chipped to work with this model. Because the gun was <2 years old, Sigma didn't charge for the actual rechipping, but I had to pay for postage to Sigma and also the return postage from Sigma, and I was without the gun for about 10 days. Wouldn't have had this issue if I'd been able to update the firmware myself.

If you can't stretch to the Metx 58, the 48 is quite a bit cheaper and near identical (lower power output).
Old 07-11-09, 17:12

I've been using Metz flash units for years with no trouble whatsoever, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sigma units are re-badged other manufacturers units and therefore have less quality control over them. You didn't mention which camera brand you are using, but if it's Nikon or Canon you might be just as well checking their own brand flash units, prices compared to Metz are not all that different if you shop around. I use SB-800 flash units for my Nikons and can honestly say I have yet to find a job they can't accommodate, the build quality goes without saying.

nirofo.
Old 07-11-09, 17:47

Hi thanks for the advice folks i am using a sony and there equivelent to the metz metz 58 Af-1 is about 350 quid and there doesnt seem to be much difference between them.

Andrew
Old 08-11-09, 10:19

It might also be worth looking at Sunpak stuff. I believe they are sub-contract manufacturer's for Canon, Sony and Pentax (certainly true) flashguns. There is an uncanny similarity between the Pentax AF540 and the Canon EX530.

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/...acturers_id=56

As you see, the sunpak stuff is considerably cheaper than the OEM brands. I'd still go for Metz though.
Old 08-11-09, 11:07

Thanks yelvertoft i think i will take your advice and go for the metz as i was looking for the off camera option and slave option and the sunpak flash doesnt seem to be able to do that.

Andrew
Old 08-11-09, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew66610 View Post
i was looking for the off camera option and slave option and the sunpak flash doesnt seem to be able to do that.
Make sure you know exactly what you need to do to use ANY flash as a slave (presumably wireless). I don't know the detail of the Sony system, but I know that with some cameras, you need to use a second gun as the master controller for the remote slave. Not all cameras allow the pop-up to be used as a master controller. If this is the case, you would need to buy 2x Metz flashguns to operate as a wireless master/slave combo. This would not be cost effective, you've be better off buying a radio trigger, in which case you could plonk just about any old gun on the slave trigger.

Really, if you're going to get serious with flash, you want to be using it off camera. It's a fair bet you'll end up using the gun in fully manual control too. I use a simple PC synch cord with hotshoe adapters and have camera and gun in fully manual modes. This gives complete control and is very, very cheap to implement. You can see in my gallery some of the off-camera flash work I've done. Studio heads are all fully manual, it's the way to go to be in full control of the output.
Old 08-11-09, 19:34

Hi from what i understand you just need one flash gun and set the camera to wireless mode and it will work off camera but if anyone knows otherwise it would be helpful to know.

Andrew