WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Nikon D40 question

Old 28-01-09, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
I don't know what View NX is, but is there any point in still downloading it now?
Hondo,

After a lengthy trawl around the net I cannot really find out much detail about Picture Project. One thing I have found out is that it is not compatable with my Nikon View 6 on the same computer, so I cannot download it without uninstalling View 6.

I have however installed NX View. This program is really an image browser with very limited editing ability with nef files ( exposure compensation, white balance and through Picture Control Utility, curves and picture controls ). Picture Control Utility only functions with out of camera nef (RAW) images not Jpeg. So I think the program is OK as a browser, but it is obviously designed to be part of an integrated package with NX, which is a proper image editing program.
Should you get NX2, the image editing program then you might consider it worthwhile having. I have NX2 but I use the browser built into that.

I have attatched a screen shot to show where the exif info for any particular image is. I suspect Picture Project has a similar tab.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NX View.jpg (132.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 29-01-09, 17:13

Smile

Hi Don I don't know if there's been a problem with my PC or the site, but I've been having problems posting a reply, fingers crossed this time now though.

I do hope you haven't spent a great deal of time looking round for software for me, to be honest I hardly ever bother using image editors, just how pictures come out of the camera is usually good enough for me. *I think*

However I have tried View NX now, which does give me both a time & date stamp (+ some) of the pictures that I've taken.

Therefore you have successfully satisfied both of my opening questions for which, I thank you very much.
Old 29-01-09, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
I hardly ever bother using image editors, just how pictures come out of the camera is usually good enough for me. *I think*
It's highly likely that you aren't getting the best out of your images. They can almost always be improved with a bit of a tweak and a tidy up, some pictures more than others.
Old 04-02-09, 11:22

I have a D40 and i never knew you could change the time of the remote, cheers.

It has another quirk in that if you have it set on manual and to 'bulb' to do a
timed exposure, when you change it to use the remote, the bulb setting goes
off the display. Then sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, very strange.

If your just relying on what comes out of the D40 then from my experience
you're certainly not getting the best from your pictures.
Old 04-02-09, 15:26

Lol, I've got a better chance of seeing God yesterday than ever getting my head around apps like Photo Shop.

I'm willing to take on-board what you guys and have just downloaded an app I've just seen on this site Photo Plus 6 free edition, to see how good and user friendly that is. BTW I love FOC

Rob_W It sounds like my lack of knowledge of the D40 menu helped you too, now to me thats a bonus