WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

copyright/watermark

Old 02-06-11, 22:44

Default copyright/watermark

I'm new here and still searching my way around, sorry if this isn't the right place to bring this up...
When I go through the galleries, I noticed that nobody places a copyright on their photos. I don't want to be suspicious and want to believe everybody here means well but this still is 'the internet'. Are you not afraid of the internet piracy or that your photos end up in something you don't like? I know, a watermark can be cloned away and the photos are reduced in size but still...
It kind of refrains me to post as I don't want to be the only one that has a mark on them Am I the only one that thinks that way?
Old 03-06-11, 07:06

I'd be over the moon if somebody thought that one of my photos was worthy of stealing and using. Unfortunatley, I'm not that good a photographer. I've put watermarks on mine in the past and a few of the members put their names on their images. If you feel that you want to watermark your photos, then go ahead, nobody will comment, unless it interferes with the image.
Look forward to seeing some of your work.
Old 03-06-11, 10:23

As a personal thing I'm not a fan of watermarks. However if you feel the need to watermark/copyright that's ok. Better to post with watermark than not to post.
If someone used my photos I would be miffed and/or flattered. Depending on what it was used for and if money was made from its use.
Old 03-06-11, 10:51
Super Moderator

I put a watermark on some of my images but not all (I tend to mark my bird photos and also any from jobs). I have had photos used without permission, both watermarked and not. If you prefer to put a mark on your photos before posting then go for it.
Old 03-06-11, 15:33

A few members do watermark their pics. The photos in the gallery are resized down to a puny resolution/filesize (400kb I think), I can't imagine anyone being able to use them properly.

If I haven't found a way to make profit off my photos (I'm not good enough) then I doubt someone else will.
Old 03-06-11, 16:49

I'm not good enough to make money out of my pics either but I would not like it if they would be used on the internet without notification. Also, my kids are in a lot of my pics so maybe that's why I'm a bit more concerned. I will keep the watermark on... Thank you for all the replies!
Old 21-11-11, 15:40

Hi guys,

I feel this is an often overlooked subject, as clients and photographers often confused by intellectual property and copyright law. I've written an interesting scenario that explains the law to help clear up this tricky subject - what do you think? Link below.

http://www.joelknightphotography.co....page/13209.xml

Comments appreciated and please share to raise awareness and spread knowledge.
Old 13-10-17, 09:00

It is good to markup your photographs and to turn on the watermark, as it will keep your photos protected from getting copied and used by others. Maintaining piracy must be a priority as per my concern.

Last edited by Rachael Alice; 13-10-17 at 13:22.