WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Merit in keeping camera bodies

Old 26-05-06, 12:10

Default Merit in keeping camera bodies?

When upgrading to the latest and greatest camera body, is there any merit in keeping an obsolete body?

I sold my previous body after I upgraded but how many members keep and collect?
Old 26-05-06, 12:31
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
When upgrading to the latest and greatest camera body, is there any merit in keeping an obsolete body?

I sold my previous body after I upgraded but how many members keep and collect?
I assume you're not talking about a back-up body? which, is the logical position for an usurped body. More about hoarding and not wanting to let a good servant go for silly money?

I don't tend to sell my old cameras, the proceeds are so minimal that I'd rather keep them or give them to a family member or close friend. I did get exceptional prices for some Contax cameras that I was given prior to the Kyocera pull-out, I couldn't resist 'offing' these.
Old 26-05-06, 12:38

More about hoarding, is there any merit?

Do you think an early digital SLR camera would be worth something in twenty or thirty years?
Old 26-05-06, 12:59

Quote:

Do you think an early digital SLR camera would be worth something in twenty or thirty years?
20 to 30 years time? I think not. 50 or 60 years time then maybe. These items are being produced in massive quantities, far more so that the production volumes seen with the equivalent models of 50 years ago. Because of this, the rarity of dSLRs will not be very great until a much longer period has elapsed. Add in to this, the 'antiques roadshow' effect, where people realise the potential value of 'old junk', and it will take a long time before the availability of old dSLRs becomes sufficiently rare to warrant any monetary value. There will be particular models, landmarks in the development of dSLRs that will attain classic status. These will become valuable items when the nostalgia factor becomes greater than the supply available.

I've kept the last film SLR I used in anger (Pentax z-50P) because, as Andy has said, it's not worth any money at all, nor is it ever likely to be. It's worth more to me than anybody else, not for any sentimental reason, but purely as a tool should I need to use it.

I have my 68 year old Rolleiflex, bought for £60 at a camera fair about 10 or 11 years ago. This was bought as a nice piece of engineering, not as an investment. Likewise, my K1000 was bought 2nd hand for £42 (the only item I've even won on an ebay auction), because it's a beautiful piece of engineering. Due to their simplicty by today's standards, both of these items still work, and work well. I don't think my z-50P will work so well in 50 years time. I don't think by *ist DS will work at all in 50 years time, and even if it does, there probably won't be a compatible infrastructure (computer, software, memory card, etc) around to support it. I've got more chance than most of being able to get batteries for it though.

Duncan.
Old 26-05-06, 13:11
Admin

I think some of the original FD Sony Mavicas may get some money in years to come. Though even now, what you going to do with a photo on a floppy disc?
I can't think of any compact digital cameras that are classics and well remembered, maybe the Nikon Coolpix 950 is an exception.
Old 26-05-06, 13:18

Quote:

It will probably come down to the old phrase "supply and demand" (at the time). As Duncan states, certain film cameras are "nice pieces of engineering" that are usually appreciated by us of "a certain age"
I still have a couple of Zenith SLR cameras with a number of lenses, also a sub-miniature Minolta 16-P, although one would hardly refer to these as a nice piece of engineering - the Zeniths were all I could afford at the time.

Roger
Old 26-05-06, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
................................I can't think of any compact digital cameras that are classics and well remembered, maybe the Nikon Coolpix 950 is an exception.
Andy, maybe "in the eye of the beholder" applies in this situation?

Roger
Old 26-05-06, 13:39
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerscoth
Andy, maybe "in the eye of the beholder" applies in this situation?

Roger
Not really, it is regarded by many in the trade as a landmark camera, a compact digital with manual control was very novel in the late 1990's.
Old 26-05-06, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Not really, it is regarded by many in the trade as a landmark camera, a compact digital with manual control was very novel in the late 1990's.
Sorry Andy, I should have made it clear that I was referring to the first part in the quote :- I can't think of any compact digital cameras that are classics and well remembered, not the superb Nikon camera.

Roger
Old 26-05-06, 14:03
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerscoth
Sorry Andy, I should have made it clear that I was referring to the first part in the quote :- I can't think of any compact digital cameras that are classics and well remembered, not the superb Nikon camera.

Roger
Ah, no problem.

Note i didn't say 'fondly remembered', I sincerely hope no one fondly remembers the floppy Sonys