WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Raw.

Old 29-11-13, 12:14

Default Raw.

I do very little flash photography and none since I started shooting in RAW until yesterday when I took a photo indoors and when I downloaded it to my computer there was only the camera converted image, I am retired now but was an engineer all my working life so like to know why things do or don't happen. I convert my RAW images with Adobe DNG converter which is very easy to use and does what I want it to do, I haven't got Photoshop because I don't want to alter my images too much I want my picture to be as near to what I captured in that fraction of a second. Also another thing I don't understand when I use Picasa to edit images the Raw conversion is ok for about ten seconds then turns purple and you can't do anything with it, that's why I use the Adobe DNG converter so when I go to Picasa there's three images, camera converted, DNG, and Picasa conversion, the Picasa one I delete.
As you might have guessed I'm a total amateur but I love taking pictures of things that interest me and some of them aren't bad so I if anyone could answer any of my questions I would be grateful.
P/S I use a Lumix DMC G5.
Regards Peter.
Old 30-11-13, 02:59

I can't answer any of your questions, but they have prompted one of my own. If you don't use Photoshop and don't want to alter your images too much, why are you shooting in RAW? Almost certainly you can get what you want by shooting in JPEG. Files would be smaller and I suspect your problems would disappear.
Old 30-11-13, 13:08

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Tangata, I'll set my camera just onto JPEG fine and save myself a lot of messing about, I've taken pictures of steam locomotives and vintage aircraft in JPEG fine and am very happy with the results, as I said I'm a rank amateur who just likes taking pictures. I only tried RAW because someone said I'd get better results, thanks again Tangata.