WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > WPF Photo Competitions Forum

WPF Photo Competitions Forum All the details for the monthly WPF Photo Competitions

November 2006 Competition: Vote Here

Register to see Poll

There is a poll attached to this thread. You must be a fully registered member to be able to view or vote in this poll.

Old 12-12-06, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharnbrook View Post
I think it's rather disappointing that with 24 entries, there are (at this stage) only 27 votes. Does this mean that only 3 people out of a membership of 1861 (excluding entrants) have bothered to vote? If so, then maybe some consideration should be given to encourage voting by giving the appropriate forum more exposure say, on signing in. I suspect that some entrants probably haven't voted either, so that they don't vote for the "opposition", thus increasing their chances. I always was a cynic though.
Just a thought, what does anyone else think?

Regards,

Mike

PS, I voted, (and not for myself,) but it was a difficult choice, as there were several really excellent entries.
There is this forum, an announcement in each forum and this thread. I would have thought that should be enough...short of a Bob Geldof moment (1986 Live Aid, live on BBC TV shouting "....Give us your ******* money" at 2pm in the afternoon) I am not sure what else we can do to encourage members to vote for a winner in the competition.
Old 12-12-06, 11:40

There is also some real amazing photos in the competition poll with no votes..... what's happening?
Old 12-12-06, 12:13

It costs nothing to vote. Even if you don't think yourself worthy of entering (which is not true), why not have a look through some amazing pictures and pick the one that appeals to you. There's no need to analyse deeply, not need to try and understand why you like it. If you like it more than any of the other entries, then cast your vote. It's a simple as that. All voting is anonymous, no-one can see who voted for what.
Old 12-12-06, 12:43

Interestingly, if one goes to "Gallery", and down to "Competition Poll/Finalists", where it says "Vote Now", I could not find anywhere to vote. It was only after a few days that I found the voting section in the Forums. Could this be a reason for others to miss out on voting, or have I missed something? (as well as many others)

Regards,

Mike
Old 12-12-06, 21:48

Quote:
I think it's rather disappointing that with 24 entries, there are (at this stage) only 27 votes. Does this mean that only 3 people out of a membership of 1861 (excluding entrants) have bothered to vote? If so, then maybe some consideration should be given to encourage voting by giving the appropriate forum more exposure say, on signing in. I suspect that some entrants probably haven't voted either, so that they don't vote for the "opposition", thus increasing their chances. I always was a cynic though.
Just a thought, what does anyone else think?

Regards,

Mike

PS, I voted, (and not for myself,) but it was a difficult choice, as there were several really excellent entries.
Mike,

I also voted, and not for myself. I agree with the comments in Foxy's and Duncans post, but do not know the answer. The mods have used a " Vote Now " pic, in the latest gallery pics before, that has been daily rolled to the top, but relative to total membership the number of voters was not what it may have been.

For this months comp I initially thought there would be a very limited entry, as the subject required quite a bit of thought, but not so. LOTS of very good pics so the decision was quite difficult.

Don
Old 12-12-06, 21:57

I have just looked at the number of views all the entries have had, so with only 28 votes cast I am well and truely puzzled.

With the quality of the pics entered can I claim more than 1 vote. I could do with at least half a dozen ??????

Don
Old 12-12-06, 22:32

Maybe some folk would like to express their views on why they take the time to view and then not vote. I have noticed in the past a few comments on the difficulty of finding the voting form. Maybe people can't find it once this thread goes into a second page.

For those new to the forum it is at the top of this thread

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 13-12-06, 04:24

Quote:
Interestingly, if one goes to "Gallery", and down to "Competition Poll/Finalists", where it says "Vote Now", I could not find anywhere to vote. It was only after a few days that I found the voting section in the Forums. Could this be a reason for others to miss out on voting, or have I missed something? (as well as many others)

Regards,

Mike
I fully agree with Mike. Still personally should think where to go to enter into competition, where to see them and where to vote.

I wish there could be one general directory for "Competition" through the first page of it, links could get one to anything that has to do with competition in various sub-directories, for eg first link to vote for competition of month, second for archive, third to enter into current competition, fourth for see current images and so on. Now on every section including Gallery, Forum a well seen link, possible one of the top ones, with flashing icon or any other way to attract attention, brings the viewer into the general page for competition, then one could choose what ever about competition she or he needs.

Positive feedback is another good encouraging way to bring more people to vote, for example, you get reward of one time, 2 additional upload chance to the regular 4 picture per day, with a one month expiry time (During the month of voting) or something of that sort. Not that it is needed but the very fact of knowing a reward is available, may bring those endorphin release in cerebral cortex. At least it works all the time for me.

Another thought that I am not sure whether worths mentioning, is not to be able to vote for self. So that every one gets chance of attracting others vote and generously vote for someone else. With the hope to damper the natural ego effect. Hope is to prevent that disperse votes every month that otherwise goes to self instead of making a better determination for one of the rather more popular entries.

A reminder, here and there such as "Did you vote for the photo competition of this month?" would be helpful too (I saw a good one with link to vote from Andy that is a sure right thing to do.

Bottom line: Better visibility of a simply accessible "Competition" category is needed. Key to success; Location, location, location.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 13-12-06, 10:04
Super Moderator

I am also surprised at the few little voters in comparison to the views, I voted first day as I had already a favorite in mind again it wasn't my own. Hopefully before the end of the week more will vote. We will have to get admin to put a block on the site and the only way to log in is to vote first. LOL!
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 13-12-06, 13:29

Vote cast - so many good pics that it wasn't easy to choose. How about a competition for us second-raters or first-timers?