WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Tips needed for Wedding photo's

Old 30-03-06, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Don. Yes I have had a go with Raw + Jpg it would save a lot of processing if the images don't need any added work except for sharpening the only thing I found the Jpg version was very soft.
Christine,

I was only suggesting JPG Basic as a way of quick sifting through your images. RAW + JPG Fine would be overkill if you always edit in raw.

Is the softness you describe ' unsharp ' . If so that is a good thing as sharpness is best applied as the last processing step. From what I have discovered I cannot understand people complaining about unsharp jpegs out of camera. That is the BEST option. Controlled sharpness to suit the image, applied as the last step, in post processing is the best way to go.

Don
Old 30-03-06, 23:36
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Christine,

I was only suggesting JPG Basic as a way of quick sifting through your images. RAW + JPG Fine would be overkill if you always edit in raw.

Is the softness you describe ' unsharp ' . If so that is a good thing as sharpness is best applied as the last processing step. From what I have discovered I cannot understand people complaining about unsharp jpegs out of camera. That is the BEST option. Controlled sharpness to suit the image, applied as the last step, in post processing is the best way to go.

Don
Don the jpg was very unsharp more so than the raw, that was a bit of a surprise because they say the raw files are, as is, nothing added. I expected both images to have been the same as far as sharpness was concerned as I have all in camera setting off.

The one on the right is the jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20060330_233945.jpg (84.8 KB, 15 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 31-03-06, 15:01

Quote:
Don the jpg was very unsharp more so than the raw, that was a bit of a surprise because they say the raw files are, as is, nothing added. I expected both images to have been the same as far as sharpness was concerned as I have all in camera setting off.

The one on the right is the jpg
Hi Christine,

Thats a wow for the wrong reason. Very surprised. Was this JPG basic ?

When I suggested this as a method it was to allow for a quick review as they are small file compared to RAW. A bit odd all the same. When you have the time it would be interesting to see whichever jpg mode you used here, shot on its own.

I am really puzzled.

Don
Old 31-03-06, 15:08
Super Moderator

Hi Don it was on jpg fine, can't figure out what is wrong. I have tried it in jpg on its own and its fine.

Christine
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 31-03-06, 16:25

Quote:
Hi Don it was on jpg fine, can't figure out what is wrong. I have tried it in jpg on its own and its fine.

Christine
Christine,
By the time we have finished we will know the ins and outs of your camera.

I think from your photo in Who' Who that your camera is the 350D. So I have been to DPR to look at image quality controls.

The review suggests you have 2 settings, Parameter 1, and Parameter 2.
Parameter 1 giving punchy sharp images straight out of the camera.
Parameter 2 sets zero settings for all parameters.

As the in camera processing of the JPG will be after the point that the RAW file is saved I would suggest setting Parameter 1.

So that I know, is your camera the 350D ?

Don
Old 31-03-06, 16:50
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Christine,
So that I know, is your camera the 350D ?

Don
Don sorry, yes it is the 350D I should have said., I have it set on set 1, contrast slider all the way to bottom same with sharpness, saturation 0 middle, colour tone 0 middle. I read in one of the magazines that these where the best settings, they said that the sliders in the middle meant that there was still some sharpening and contrast, taking them below meant there was none at all.

Christine

Old 31-03-06, 17:13

Quote:
Don sorry, yes it is the 350D I should have said., I have it set on set 1, contrast slider all the way to bottom same with sharpness, saturation 0 middle, colour tone 0 middle. I read in one of the magazines that these where the best settings, they said that the sliders in the middle meant that there was still some sharpening and contrast, taking them below meant there was none at all.

Christine
Christine,

I will have to do a bit of a trawl to understand the range of settings you can apply. For a repeat test try setting all at 0 middle, on set 1.

Don
Old 31-03-06, 17:48

So many tabs up. So I will post this 350D review as there are some picture examples of various settings, before I loose it.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EXT/EXTA.HTM

See the select a topic drop down box at the top.

Don
Old 31-03-06, 18:00

Christine,
I should have mentioned if you go to the ' Sample Image ' page and scroll down to the contrast and saturation series. If you click on an image, that will take you to another page with a slightly larger version, but also a link to the full file image.

Don
Old 31-03-06, 18:13
Super Moderator

Thanks Don there is a lot to read.