WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Sigma's SD9 body with SA mount Vs Pentax PK mount

Old 23-07-07, 21:03

Smile Sigma's SD9 body with SA mount Vs Pentax PK mount

Just had a New but refurbished Sigma SD9 digi body only come on today's massive delivery at work...

This got me thinking, for not much more than £120 with all the clearance discounts added etc I could get my OWN digi SLR, and with a bit of nifty adapter work this MIGHT fit a PK mount, meaning I could manually use all my Tamron lenses by swapping my current Contax mounts for one PK one (which the wife already has fitted to her Pentax film kit)

The SD9 has some pretty impressive specs', including their interesting sensor technology...ok, so it's probably too slow for my use, and it's probably been sold since (the shop is open 'til 8, I finished at 5), so all this is probably hypthetical, but....

Anyone any thoughts/ experiences of sigma's digi bodies?

Has anyone tried modifying their PK fit (ie taking the stop down lever off) to fit the electric only Sigma SA mount bodies?

An open ended posting here, so peoples thoughts, experiences and opinions welcomed
Old 23-07-07, 21:54

Just found a site that use to sell an SA to M42 pentax lens adapter.....negating the need to butcher a PK lens mount

http://www.d-shell.net/

Unfortunately, by the looks of it no longer available
Old 24-07-07, 09:19

Why not get a K100D and save the hassle of the SA mount mod? By the time you've applied staff discount, it probably won't cost you much more than the £120 for the SD9. K100D isn't the fastest of cameras, but I dare say its faster than the SD9 from reviews I've read. You could use all Jacky's lenses directly too.

Seems a bit more of a future-proof solution than the Sigma.

Duncan
Old 24-07-07, 10:08

According to review it performs poorly above ISO 400 and of course you are pretty much restricted to Sigma lenses. Surely a decent 6-10MP camera from Canon, Nikon or Pentax would be better? And being in the trade presumably you could pick up a good deal, perhaps on a refurb or used model?

Nikon has the advantage that there are lots of good quality old MF and AF lenses available. I cannot comment on other brands.
Old 24-07-07, 21:56

Thumbs up

Thanks Leif and Duncan, for sobering me up!

It's very easy to get carried away with the clearance stock we're getting in daily.....it's only when I get home and think, have objective level headed views from you guys, and listen to logic, do sigh relief that I've not spent my pocket money on a gadget that'll probably never get used....or if it will, only do half the job intended.....

I was looking at Metz zoom head for my 60 CT flashguns today...monster of a thing, can't remember seeing any new for years. That and some Uniloc gear...Hmm, now can I really justify them instead?! ..

Talking of monsters, we just got a nice new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 canon fit...suprisingly felt not as nice as my own old AD2 Tamron 300mmf/2.8....is £900 a good price for this?....kind of a liability in the cabinet next to the £7 centon 50mm f/1.7... now I'm wondering why that should be on a clearance offer (like the Mamiya kit we just got in...ever heard of digi backs! )...and Pentax *ist battery grips at £50 a pop...where have all these come from?!....frustration rules.

Last edited by Joe; 24-07-07 at 22:05.