WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Nikon D40 question

Old 27-01-09, 16:49

Default Nikon D40 question

Hello folks This is my first post in here, so please be patent with me.

I'm pretty new to digital photography and have recently purchased a Nikon 40 with the standard lens, also a Nikon 55mm X 200 zoom, and finally a Nikon ML-L3 wireless remote.

My question relates to the remote. I am aware that to get the remote to work you need to go into the shooting mode and select either delayed or quick response remote, the problem is the camera only seems to hold one of these two selection for a maximum of around 1 minute, after which the camera seems to forget that I have made the remote selection, and the remote no longer works with out re-selection back in shooting mode. If I take a photo within every minute it will let take pics continuously.

I've been reading an article by Ken Rockwell that suggests you can set the camera up in such a way, that it will retain the remote settings for up to a maximum of 15 minutes after which the camera needs triggering or it reverts to what I assume must be a default setting in which the camera shooting mode needs setting up again. I've been through (I think all the options) but can find nothing about retaining the remote mode for 15 minutes. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I don't know if I'm allowed to ask two questions in the same post, nevertheless I'd like the camera to time & date stamp the photos I take, but I can't figure out how to do this either.

Thank you very much for any help

Cheers hondo
Old 27-01-09, 17:31

Hi Hondo,

No quick answers on your remote problem but I will see what info I can dig up. I have just been through the instruction manual and no help there.

Re date/time stamp, then that info is recorded in every picture you take, but cannot be imprinted on the image like the old data backs. I need to find out what software came with the camera to point you in the direction of viewing the exif for each pic you have taken. The exif contains this info and a lot more.
If you have info on the software that came with the camera then please post details.

Don
Old 27-01-09, 17:41

Hello Don thanks for your reply I've checked the instruction book too and found nothing about either

Re the software the only thing I had was a CD called Nikon Picture Project 1.7 It might be me, but it didn't look much help.

Thanks & Cheers hondo
Old 27-01-09, 17:52

OK. Answer No1 :
A more thorough read through the manual and the duration for the ML-3 can be set in Custom Settings. See Page 79 of the manual item 17:Remote Duration.

I will check out Picture project later.

Don
Old 27-01-09, 18:12

Don I take my hat off to you, for finding that reference in the instructions I must be honest I'd missed out on that.

But I can't find that Remote on duration menu in the camera, I've looked in the custom menu and have nothing resembling it. Is it possible for some reason that my camera docent have it, or should they all be the same?

Thank you. Cheers hondo
Old 27-01-09, 19:33

Hi Hondo,
Is it the D40 or the D40x you have?
As the menus are different

Last edited by Joe; 27-01-09 at 19:38.
Old 27-01-09, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
......... I've looked in the custom menu and have nothing resembling it. Is it possible for some reason that my camera docent have it, or should they all be the same?

Thank you. Cheers hondo
Hondo,

Check out this link. It shows all the options screen by screen that should be available to you in the Custom Menu. The Remote Duration is at the bottom of the page. I hope this helps.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...nu_custom.html

Re Picture Project I see it is no longer available for me to download to be able to do stuff by screen grabs for you. It has been replaced by View NX and I would need to download that.
It is a 50mb file and ( Foxy will laugh at this ) but might screw up View6 which I do use. So the question now is are you going to download ViewNX and if so perhaps Foxy can do a screen grab that will show how you can view the exif info.

Don
Old 27-01-09, 19:47

Re the D40, perhaps I should have posted the link to the full Imaging Resource review.
So here it is.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ND40/ND40A.HTM

Don
Old 27-01-09, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Hi Hondo,
Is it the D40 or the D40x you have?
As the menus are different
Hello Joe thanks for the reply, it is a D40 and not a 40X
Old 27-01-09, 21:09

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...nu_custom.html

Woot Don. Many thanks that link was great, I didn't know all that stuff was in there, I like this camera very much, but its more tricky than I first thought

I don't know what View NX is, but is there any point in still downloading it now?
Many, many thanks I'm over the moon