WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Canon lens on Nikon camera

Old 10-07-07, 12:01

Default Canon lens on Nikon camera

I am, I know going to ask a silly question, but forgive me I am relatively new to buying lenses, can you get Canon lenses with Nikon mount that will give you all the lens features. I know you can get converter rings but from what I understand they are not that great. The reason I am asking is that I am thinking of replacing my Tamron 200-500 and was looking at the Nikon 80-400 VR but maybe I should look at the Canon 100-400 L IS.
Old 10-07-07, 20:05

Canon EF lenses don't have aperture controls on them - they can only be adjusted from the camera, so even if it was possible to mount them in some way, you wouldn't have any control over the aperture settings.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 10-07-07, 21:33

As mentioned, Canon lenses use electronic connections, so the aperture would not work. Also the lens to sensor distance is less for Canon cameras, so you cannot even use an adaptor to use the lens wide open.

The converse is true, as you can use Nikon lenses on a Canon camera, with an adaptor, but the aperture is manual. This only applies to non-G lenses which have an aperture ring.

Anyway, why on Earth would you want to soil your lovely Nikon with those nasty Canon lenses?
Old 10-07-07, 21:51

Canon man though I am I think the Nikon 80-400 VR lens is superior to the Canon 100-400 L IS. It's a much newer design and the Canon gets somewhat variable reviews so I agree with Leif on this one.