WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

What lens filter

Old 01-01-09, 15:14

Default What lens filter

Hi having used my canon 100 2/8 macro.I need a lens filter to protect lens.Which one should I go for ?Bearing image claritythrough filter as well.many thanks john the joiner.
Old 01-01-09, 17:19

As you probably already know, any protective filter is going to be a compromise in terms of lens clarity compared to not using a filter. However, B&W filters are universally acknowledged to be superior ones. Expensive, but they're nicely made, and the lenses I could afford to fit with these do seem to loose less definition when selectively enlarging compared to other filters. I'd be happy recommending B&W filters to any photographer.

Last edited by Joe; 01-01-09 at 19:54.
Old 01-01-09, 19:25

Hi joe many thanks saved me a lot of searching google regards john the joiner any particular one catalogue number;
Old 01-01-09, 19:47

I've been using the B&W Kr1.5 skylight F pro series filters. These are basically the same as the hoya Skylight filtering. The only lens I've not bothered putting the filters on is the 15-30mm wide as it has a weird hood/thread arrangement, but like Hoya, B&W did a range of thin rimmed filters for wide angle lenses, which is a good idea.
I'm not so sure about who's selling them currently, as I've not bought any recently. The importers have changed a couple of times, but I think B&W are probably still under the same group as Schneider & Hasselblad. Maybe retailers like Calumet, Warehouse express and jessops might be worth a look.
Maybe Amazon might also be worth a look?
hope this helps?
Old 01-01-09, 19:53

...I should also add. the 300mm 2.8 fortunately has it's own Sigma filter on, as the larger sized B&W glass is incredibly expensive! (a sharp intake of breath is needed for 82mm size ones too!)......but I've feel they are worth it.
I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same, but I've had more than one cheap filter glass work loose in the filter rim before now. which is obviuosly not good

Last edited by Joe; 01-01-09 at 19:55.
Old 01-01-09, 20:02

Hi joe once again many thanks john the joiner
Old 03-01-09, 17:35

Default B&W filter

Hi Joe sorry for the hasstle is this the correct filter
[ B&W KR-1.5 MRC 58 SKYLIGHT M R C SLIM MOUNT] many thanks john the joiner.
Old 03-01-09, 19:38

Hi, no hassle at all.
That one would do the trick. The slim mount design was brought out to help reduce the chances of vignetting on very wide angle lenses, but it will still work fine on your macro lens.
I'm not sure if this is the F pro series one, which has the brass rim, but the alloy ones serve just as well to be honest.
Let us know how you get on with it, and where you get this from, as not many stockists carry the B&W range when I last looked. A shame, as I've been happy with mine, and their construction is fantastic.
Hope this helps?
Old 03-01-09, 20:57

Default B&W filter

Hi Joe many thanks for your inputs most helpfull.The site where I found filter is[fotoSENSE] I found by [google] B&W LENS FILTERS.once again many thanks regards john the joiner