WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

portable image storage

Old 02-01-06, 22:01

Default portable image storage

I am looking at getting a portable image storage device to take travelling with me for a year. Currantly i am looking at getting the innoplus iwith 80gb, but there are several on the market. I am wondering if people have any experiance of these items. I am loath to take an i pod as i am not found of them myself. I need realy at least 60gb.
Old 02-01-06, 23:06

Hi ollie
Have is got to very portable. I use a Iomega 160GB USB-2 hard drive for carrying my work with me and it doubles as a back-up for everything. Mine is mains but you can get a USB powered version for a little more. Itr has worked perfectly for a year or more and it comes with some excellent soft-ware for auto-backup. Calms the nerves! If it's too heavy there are much more portable smaller ones that would be ideal for travelling and more are coming out all the time. How much capacity do you need?
Old 02-01-06, 23:10

Realy i whant a minimum of 60gb as it willl be a good 6 months on ym scedule so far before i can send it home to get emptied. I need a card slot on it as well. The reason i say that capacity as i plan to get to alot of airshows in the first 6 months and i do take alot of photos at them. I will be taking 4 512 mb cards for my 2 cameras. I will only upload to the device when my card is full to save battery on the unit.
I also require to be able to view my images to be able to remove the bad ones.
Old 03-01-06, 13:03

Hi Ollie, I have just received a catalogue from one of my suppliers, viz. Misco and in there there are some choices which are more portable. you could email them on [email protected] and ask them about your requirements. I see Iomega do a 60 GB Mini Hard Drive for about £100 inc. It is USB powered (no mains required) and only weighs 3.5 oz. But, do you have a mobile computer? If you have you can transfer your pics via a USB card reader to it and then to the spare hdd. That's what I do. If not I suggest you buy more cards, and don't forget spare batteries. Good luck with the airshows, a part time interest of mine.
Old 03-01-06, 13:08

Ollie thanks for raising the subject, as I too am hoping to get such a device. Im interested to hear that there is a mains powered device. Does that basically mean plug into the wall and slot a compact flash card straight in to the device and upload that way, with no computer needed? If so, does this device come with a USB facility to then transfer to a pc? Sorry for my ignorance lol

Thanks
Old 03-01-06, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes
I am looking at getting a portable image storage device to take travelling with me for a year. Currantly i am looking at getting the innoplus iwith 80gb, but there are several on the market. I am wondering if people have any experiance of these items. I am loath to take an i pod as i am not found of them myself. I need realy at least 60gb.
Hi Ollie, Take a look at the Epson P4000, I use the Epson P2000 Myself.
Old 03-01-06, 14:28

Tom

Most of these devices ofer the facilities you're looking for.

Ken
Old 03-01-06, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygee
Tom

Most of these devices ofer the facilities you're looking for.
Much appreciated Ken. Thanks
Old 03-01-06, 18:01

I was looking at the p2000/p4000 but i feel they are to big. I will not be taking a laptop with me so the unit needs to be self powerd.
Taking more memory cards is out of the question, i will be away for at least a year. I will definatly be taking many spare batterys for my cameras and 2 cameras,
Old 04-01-06, 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes
I was looking at the p2000/p4000 but i feel they are to big.
In an earlier post you said you wanted to be able to view your photos. If that's the case then the Epson is currently your best choice. It may be slightly larger than other, similar, units but it does have a screen that totally blows most of the competition clean out of the water.

The closest you'll find is the new (i.e., not released in the UK yet) Jobo Giga Vu Evolution. This promises a screen as good as the Epson's without any of its limitations (inability to zoom with RAW photos, stupid 8.3 filename restriction) and a few extra goodies (histogram displays, especially).

If you're going to view your files to delete the poor ones then you're going to need a decent screen. That means that the device will need to be large enough to cope with a large enough screen.

As far as I can tell your requirements will only be met by one of the above two devices or a small laptop.