WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

The Basics

Old 02-02-06, 18:37

Question The Basics

Hello everyone . I am a birdwatcher and my partner bought me a Nikon CP4500 to attatch to my telescope a year ago.

I have managed to get some decent (to me) photos, but really I dont have a clue. Since finding this forum I would love to learn more, and was wondering what is the best way to go about learning the basics?

Are there any good websites. I feel that before I can concentrate on digiscoping, I should learn the basics of photography.

Any advice or tips would be most welcome.
Thanks Kas
Old 02-02-06, 18:49
Super Moderator

Hello Kas welcome aboard.
There is a good digiscoping area on birdforum.net You will find a lot of information on there. http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=243

Christine
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 03-02-06, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas
Hello everyone . I am a birdwatcher and my partner bought me a Nikon CP4500 to attatch to my telescope a year ago.

I have managed to get some decent (to me) photos, but really I dont have a clue. Since finding this forum I would love to learn more, and was wondering what is the best way to go about learning the basics?

Are there any good websites. I feel that before I can concentrate on digiscoping, I should learn the basics of photography.

Thanks Kas

Hi Kas,

Are there any web sites? Certainly, there's this one!

I've put together a few articles that can be found here:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...isplay.php?f=6
I'll do a shutter priority mode one to complete the set when I get time. Some of Don Hoey's articles are also highly suitable for beginners, regardless of the equipment that is in use.

Duncan
Old 03-02-06, 11:30
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas

Thanks Kas
Hi Kas,
Although birdforum is the definitive place to go for digiscoping advise, WPF maybe the better place to learn about the basics of photography.
I think you are extremely wise to want to know the basic principles of photo taking before setting off, digiscoping or anyother method will be far easier for you if you know these.

The relationship between light available and shutter-speed is probably foremost basic rule to learn, and how the size of the lens aperture effects shutter-speed.

cheers,
Andy
Old 03-02-06, 12:16

Hi Kas,

When youve taken in as much info on the basics of photography at this site, then you need to go to Andy's website for your digiscoping questions. Click 'Digiscoped.com' in his signature
Old 03-02-06, 15:52

Hi Kas

The best way to learn about photography is to go out as often as you can and take photographs. Look at your results, compare them to photo's in magazines such as Amateur Photographer, Outdoor Photographer etc. Visit as many photographic web sites as you can, learn by your mistakes, ask questions, but most of all don't be put off, persevere. Your sunrise shot of the Pentland Firth is a good start, carry on like this and you'll be fine.

nirofo.
Old 03-02-06, 17:12

Thumbs up Thankyou

Thankyou very much for all you comments. I will look at all this and hopefully start to learn. I had looked at the digscoping thread in BF, but felt a bit bamboozled by it all, hence why I came here looking for info.

Thankyou again
Kas.