WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Do others shoot less? Succeed more?

Old 08-05-09, 23:41

Default Do others shoot less? Succeed more?

It was fourteen months ago that I got my first DSLR and decided to learn how to use it. The computer indicates that I have uploaded about 5,700 images since then. That's a bit misleading because I bracket more often than not. Still, that's a lot of photographs.

Out of all that, my "keeper" file has 20 shots in it, and some of those may not really belong there. There are only about four that I'm completely satisfied with.

I'm curious: Do others shoot less? Succeed more?
Old 09-05-09, 00:20

I suppose we all shoot for different reasons. When home based, it tends to be photography for it's own challenging sake. Whilst away (which fortunately is pretty frequently) it's a trade-off shooting for memories and shooting for a 'good' result.

JAN/FEB/MAR/APR this year we (wife and I) did a 3 month driving tour of SE Oz and came back with 20,000 shots to pick and edit. Of these, I estimate 20 or so are worthy of public viewing. And looks as if we work to roughly the same proportions.
Old 09-05-09, 00:56

I've had my dSLR for around 2years and taken just over 22 000 shots and as I always bracket unless using flash, that probably comes to about 7k. Out of that lot I have around 50-70 'keepers', so slightly more than you James, but enough to worry about. Makes me bloody glad I don't shoot film anymore though .

Old 09-05-09, 16:40

It all makes me very embarrased. I have had my current camera 2 years and only taken 1900 shots.
I do need to get out more
Old 09-05-09, 21:43

As has been said already, it depends on the purpose of the photography. I use a lot of my images as a sort of visual diary, so when out with the family, there are a lot of 'memory' shots. When I'm out on a 'photography' trip, I may shoot 100-150 frames, including bracketing, over a week, and have 20-30 keepers. Of these I would probably print 10. (This does depend on the subject - if I'm after birds in flight, it's probably 400 a day, with maybe 5 keepers and 1 print!)
This still seems hugely profligate compared to my film days, when 2 36-shot rolls would last me a week's holiday. When I sold my 1V body after 4 years to go digital, it had done about 200 36-shot rolls of 35mm film.
One of the best things about digital is that freedom to experiment, but I think it also breeds a scattergun approach to image-making as well ('There'll be a good one in that lot somewhere' is something I actually heard someone say - apparently in all seriousness - after they had machine-gunned the view with their canon at a Peak District viewpoint)
Old 10-05-09, 13:50

Interesting, I started digital in 1996, just prior to retirement. All my images are stored via Aperture, and I have just under 7000 in 13 years. My D3 is twelve months old and has 1100 actuations - LESSON ??? MUST get out more

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 10-05-09, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by deci View Post
slightly more than you James, but enough to worry about.
That should of course read NOT enough to worry about

Old 11-05-09, 02:46

Get to know others and get help by way of critiques.

Don't worry about who said what, find if what is said helps to keep a lot more images.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN