WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

want to buy a macro lens

Old 04-04-10, 10:23

Default want to buy a macro lens

I have decided I would like to buy a macro lens for my Olympus E520,how do I know what type to buy? I would like to take close ups of insects & flowers...any help would be much appreciated.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 04-04-10, 11:15

I can vouch for the Sigma 105 DG makro, it's a bit light hungry but the quality is superb.
Old 04-04-10, 20:28

I've been waiting for the long promised - but not yet delivered - Oly 100mm macro and for the moment am prepared to go on waiting. However the Oly 50mm macro has superb write-ups and would I think be fine for still life. If you are going to buy an Oly lens check out BHphotvideo in the US. For some reason Oly US prices are way lower than the rest of the world and even with shipping and tax there is still a substantial saving on some lens - their 50-200 is currently half the price of a UK copy and I look longingly at at the 300mm F2.8 which is less in $ than £ even before the conversion.

I digress. Even with our Oly x2 sensor the 50mm may be a bit short for bugs so either the Sigma 105 or 150 are probably the most popular. Certainly the 150 is very well like on all the UK bug sites.

Best advice as always is go down the camera store and try them out on your camera against the sort of objects you want to photograph.
Old 05-04-10, 01:39

thanks for info guys...I am going to be in America in July so will find out as much as I can,go into the shop where I bought my camera and as you say try the lens out in the shop...if I know what I am after I might pick up a bargain while we are away, otherwise will buy one when I get back.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 05-04-10, 08:57

Hi Trena - I would look in the region of 100 mm for a macro lens - this usually gives a reasonable stand back distance to magnification ratio for macro work of that type. I feel that with a 50 or 60 mm Macro's you need to be too close to the subject unless you are doing table top/light box macro.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 05-04-10, 09:26

Trena, if you're looking for bugs, then something around the 100mm mark will be better than the 50mm macro. Having had a quick check at what's available in the 4/3 mount, I'd second ABphoto's recommendation of the Sigma 105. Shame they don't do the Tamron 90 in oly fit....
Old 05-04-10, 09:48

Yeah if your looking for bugs I would definately recommend 105 or longer, the problem with short macro lenses is that you almost have to squash a bug before you get it in focus. Although price limits all of us I would prefer something like a 180mm although 'finding' your subject is a nightmare with a long macro.
Old 05-04-10, 13:21

thanks all,I will do some research now I know what I should be looking for.

Trena
Old 05-04-10, 18:25

I too would go for the Sigma 105 which would be equivalent to a 210mm on the Oly. The 150 would be a 300 equivalent and would probably necessitate a tripod all the time whether you wanted to use one or not.