WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

d60 lens options

Old 16-02-10, 22:12

For head/shoulder portraits, I find myself using the Sigma 105 most of the time as it allows me to get the right framing without crowding too close to the model. It also gives quite a narrow angle of view when used from a reasonable distance, which in turn makes it suitable for a smaller studio as there's little background to intrude.
Old 16-02-10, 23:04

Wait a min -- the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 standard lens is a 50 in 35mm format or in digital? If it's digital does it mean that the standard lens has grown by 25mm?
Old 17-02-10, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
Wait a min -- the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 standard lens is a 50 in 35mm format or in digital? If it's digital does it mean that the standard lens has grown by 25mm?
Where has Canon come from all of a sudden? He is looking for Nikon fit lenses! Any way all lenses are quoted in 35mm terms so for the Nikon the 50 becomes a 75. The Canon 5o becomes an 80 on a Canon crop body as Canons crop factor is 1.6 due to it's sensor being slightly smaller than Nikons.

Back to Duncans point. I think that any of the three lenses originally mentioned would do an excellent job, my thought about the 60 was merely that in an indoors setting which is perhaps a little cramped it would give more scope for longer portraits. The downside is as you say that you would have to be closer to the subject for head and shoulders which might put some sitters off. It all depends how big his studio is, how about a compromise and go for the 90?
Old 17-02-10, 18:43

Thanks for the advice guys its been so helpful. I think im going to get the nikon 60mm when i've raised the funds.

I was wondering though, with a maximun aperture of f/2.8G will i be able to get a nice blur effect. Is the depth of field narrow enough. A couple of the other lenses ive looked at have a f1.4 which does seem pretty shallow.

Last edited by surfg1mp; 17-02-10 at 20:48.
Old 17-02-10, 21:07

Should be reasonably shallow depending what you want. I see on camera price buster that the Nikon 50 f1.8 costs £97 new so you might be able to pick one up cheap second hand and this will give a shallower DOF thanks to the 1.8. Another advantage would be if you found that 50mm (80mm effectively) was way too short for your needs then you would know the 60mm macro would probably be too short as well and go for one of the others. Mind you, assuming your camera has a standard zoom that would tell you as well.
Old 17-02-10, 21:32

Ok that sounds like a good idea. Would the 50mm f1.8 be ok for the macro work i need to do? as well as the portrates.
Old 17-02-10, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufg1mp View Post
Would the 50mm f1.8 be ok for the macro work i need to do? as well as the portrates.
Unfortunately no.
Old 18-02-10, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufg1mp View Post
Thanks for the advice guys its been so helpful. I think im going to get the nikon 60mm when i've raised the funds.

I was wondering though, with a maximun aperture of f/2.8G will i be able to get a nice blur effect. Is the depth of field narrow enough. A couple of the other lenses ive looked at have a f1.4 which does seem pretty shallow.
A 60mm lens, at portrait type distances, with f/2.8 you'll be quite shallow enough DoF. I'll be surprised if you're not working at smaller apertures to increase the DoF if you want to get the whole face in focus.

Note to Alex: a 50mm lens is a 50mm lens, is a 50mm lens. The focal length of the lens does not change, regardless of which camera it is fitted onto.
Old 18-02-10, 10:20

I think the 60mm sounds like the one.....just checked and the 50mm for 97 pounds doesnt autofocus on the d60, plus it wont do the macro work either so i guess its unsuitable.

Anyway thanks for the help guys.